Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Foley (LF), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Ilario (RF), Heiss (SS), Hill (3B), Wilson (P)
St. Bonaventure Lineup
O'Connor (SS), Magnanti (DH), MacCarrick (RF), Vaccaro (DH), Fuller (CF), Palczewski (3B), Kelder (1B), Ferlenda (2B),MacDonald (C), Pulli (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island rallied late to defeat St. Bonaventure 14-7 in the first game of a doubleheader Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island (24-26, 13-10 A-10) jumped in front with a four-run rally in the bottom of the second inning. The outburst started with a Sonny Ulliana single followed by Xavier Vargas getting hit by a pitch. Both runners moved into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt by Brett McManus. Ulliano scored the first run when Sam Ilario grounded the ball to third base. The throw home hit Ulliano in the back, allowing everyone to be safe on the play.
Kevin Heiss executed a safety squeeze to bring Vargas in from third to make the score 2-0. Laurence Hill singled up the middle to drive in Vargas. Hill got into scoring position by stealing second, and he came in with the fourth run on Jordan Powell's single to center.
St. Bonaventure (9-33, 5-15 A-10) got on the board with a run in the top of third, but the Rams got it back when McManus drew a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the frame. The Bonnies added a single run in the top of the fourth to pull within 5-2. Again, the Rams responded with a run in the home half when Mike Foley delivered a two-out single to right center field to drive in Powell.
The Bonnies came up with four runs in the top of the fifth to tie the game. Ryan MacCarrick's line drive down the left field line for a three-run home run was the big hit in the inning. St. Bonaventure took its first lead of the game in the top of the sixth when Tyler Kelder's single drove in Jeff Pelczewski to make the score 7-6.
Rhode Island reclaimed the lead with a six-run outburst in the bottom of the seventh. Ulliana singled, Vargas walked and a passed ball moved both into scoring position. With one out, Ilario's grounder allowed Ulliana to score the tying run, and Ilario was safe when the throw to first was offline.
Pinch hitter Greg Cavaliere singled to load the bases, and Hill singled to drive in Vargas with the go-ahead run. An infield single by Powell brought in Ilario to put the Rams up 9-7.
Cavaliere scored on Foley's sacrifice fly to center. Jackson Coutts capped the rally with a two-run double that gave Rhode Island a 12-7 lead. Two more runs in the eighth inning gave the Rams further insurance.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss earned his second victory of the season with 3.0 innings of scoreless innings of relief. He faced the minimum nine batters, retiring five via the strikeout.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill had his second straight three-hit game. He also drove in three runs, two runs scored and one stolen base.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana and senior Jordan Powell each had three singles and scored two runs. Powell also drove in a pair and stole a base.
- Senior Mike Foley singled twice, walked, drove in one run and stole a base.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas singled, walked twice and scored two runs.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts had his team-leading 10th double. He also walked, scored once and drove in two runs.
- Redshirt junior Sam Ilario doubled, scored three runs and had two RBI.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere had a pinch-hit singled and scored one run.
- Rhode Island 8-for-16 (.500) with runners in scoring position. The Rams also were 6-for-12 (.500) with two outs.
The Rams and Bonnies close out the regular season with the series finale at 2:45 p.m. Friday afternoon.