Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Coutts (LF), Cristino (DH), Vargas (1B), Hill (3B), Ulliana (C), Heiss (SS), White (CF), Ilario (RF), Twitchell (P)
Atwood (SS), Gomez (2B), Diaz (C), Grubbs (CF), Sepulveda (3B), Alexander (LF), Galvan (DH), Flores (1B), Hirsh (RF), Adams (P)
How it Happened
The Rams dropped the series opener at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, falling 8-1 Friday night.
UTRGV (6-3) used an unearned run to tie the score in the top of the fourth however, and tacked on four more in the sixth for the 5-1 advantage.
The Rams then stranded runners in scoring position in the seventh and eighth innings, before the Vaqueros sealed the game with an eighth-inning, three-run single by Anthony Gomez
UTRGV's Zach Martinez shut the door in the top of the ninth, striking out the side on 14 pitches.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams were outhit 10-4 in the loss.
- Rhody also committed two errors while UTRGV played flawless defense.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts reached base three times - on a single, double and walk. He also drove in URI's lone run of the game.
- Sophomore Austin White singled twice for Rhode Island's only other hits of the game.
- Senior Kevin Heiss was walked twice.
- The Rams stole three bases in the game, one each by Heiss, and redshirt seniors Laurence Hill and Sam Ilario.
- Redshirt freshman Ryan Twitchell threw a career-high 5.1 innings in his first collegiate start. He struck out five with no walks, but took the loss after allowing five runs (three earned) on seven hits.
Rhody returns to UTRGV Baseball Stadium for a Saturday doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. (Eastern).