How it Happened - Game 1
Rhode Island took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Jackson Coutts sent a one-out single to center and later scored on a base hit by Kevin Heiss. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley evened it up in the bottom of the frame however, getting a bases-loaded sacrifice fly from Aaron Galvan.
UTRGV later erupted for a nine-run fourth before tacking on four additional runs in the sixth.
The Vaqueros pushed across one more run in the eighth to lock up the 15-3 victory.
How it Happened - Game 2
UTRGV scored in each of the first three innings, for an early 5-0 advantage. Rhody trimmed it to 5-2 in the top of the fifth, where Mark Coley and Austin White led off the inning with back-to-back singles. Jackson Coutts followed with a base hit that pushed across Coley and White later scored on a sac-fly by John Cristino.
The Vaqueros pushed their lead to 9-2 in the home half of the inning, but Rhode Island kept battling. Sonny Ulliana and Max Mircovich opened the sixth inning with back-to-back doubles to make it 9-3. Then, with one away, Coutts singled to left to drive in Mircovich and cut it to 9-4.
An eighth-inning double by White plated Brett McManus, but 9-5 was as close as Rhody could get. The Rams had the tying run on deck in the top of the ninth, but a game-ending double-play ended the late threat.
Inside the Box Score
- With the doubleheader sweep, UTRGV improves to 8-3 while Rhody drops to 2-7.
- Sophomore Austin White combined to go 5-for-8 on the day with a double, an RBI and one run scored. He also recorded his second outfield assist of the season on a 8-6 play in Game 2.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts singled and scored a run in the first game, then had three hits and two RBI in the second game.
- Freshman Mark Coley reached base four times - on a pair of singles and a pair of walks. He also scored once, in Game 2.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich doubled twice, scored once and drove in two runs.
- Seniors Brett McManus and Kevin Heiss also had two hits each on the day. McManus singled once in each game and crossed the plate in Game 2. Heiss was 2-for-4 with an RBI in Game 1.
- Redshirt freshman Jordan Laske was 1-for-2 with a run scored in the first game.
- Junior starters Vitaly Jangols (Game 1) and Nick Robinson (Game 2) were charged with the losses. Jangols lasted just three innings, allowing eight runs on nine hits and three walks. Robinson scattered 12 hits and issued a pair of walks over five innings. Five of his nine runs allowed were unearned.
- Redshirt senior Dom Grillo struck out four and gave up just one hit over three shutout innings to end Game 2.
The Rams and Vaqueros will close out the four-game series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch at UTRGV Baseball Stadium is set for 1 p.m. Eastern.