Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (LF), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), Cavaliere (LF), McManus (3B), Robinson (P)
Schulpfand (RF), Bruhl (2B), Planter (3B), Forte (CF), Cook (1B), Lee (LF), Schmidt (C), Ready (SS), Schlub (DH), Morrison (P)
How it Happened
For the third time in as many Atlantic 10 games, Rhode Island walked off with a win, this time defeating Richmond 4-3 in the bottom of the 10th inning.
Trailing 3-0 and down to their last out with no runners on base in the bottom of the ninth, Rhode Island began to battle its way back. Austin White first drew a 10-pitch walk off Richmond closer Layne Looney. Kevin Heiss then worked a free pass of his own, and Jackson Coutts kept things going with a single up the middle to load the bases.
Max Mircovich followed with an at-bat for the ages, working an 0-2 count into a 14-pitch walk to send in White and make it a 3-1 game. Xavier Vargas then singled up the middle to score Heiss and cut the deficit to one at 3-2.
Josh Brodeur - who had driven in the game-winning run in each of URI's last two walkoff victories - nearly did so again, lining a base hit into left center to plate pinch runner Sam Ilario. Mircovich was coming home on the play as well, but got tripped up rounding third base, which left the score tied 3-3. Sonny Ulliana then struck out to end the late rally.
Richmond's Justin Cook singled to lead off the top of the 10th, and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Daniel Little. Tyler Brosius then replaced Mark Silvestri and got a pair of choppers back to the mound to prevent Cook from scoring.
Greg Cavaliere drew a leadoff walk for Rhody in the bottom of the frame, and moved to second on a wild pitch before White was walked with one out. With runners on first and second, Heiss then shot an 0-2 pitch back up the middle, where it was fielded by Richmond second baseman Sage Bruhl. Looking to end the inning with a double play, Bruhl tagged second to get White, but fired an errant throw over to first which allowed Cavaliere to cross the plate as the game-winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Austin White reached base four times - on a pair of singles and two walks. He also scored one of Rhody's three runs in the bottom of the ninth.
- Senior Kevin Heiss also walked and scored a run in the ninth.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich collects a pair of walks - none bigger than his 14-pitch free pass in the bottom of the ninth, which put Rhody's first run on the board.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas went 3-for-4 with a walk and one RBI.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts went 2-for-5 on the day.
- Redshirt senior Sam Ilario pinch ran for Coutts in the bottom of the ninth and scored the game-tying run.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur singled and drove in the game-tying run in the bottom of the ninth.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere walked twice and scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Brosius earned the win, needing just four pitches to get the final two outs of the 10th inning. In his last six appearances, he is 3-0 with two saves.
- Junior Nick Robinson allowed two runs on three hits over five complete innings. He also recorded three strikeouts in the no-decision start.
- Redshirt freshman Justin Cherry gave up one run in three innings of relief before being replaced by senior Mark Silvestri, who recorded the next four outs for the Rams.
The Rams return to The Beck on Sunday afternoon, when they will go for the series sweep. First pitch is set for 12:00 p.m.