Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), Cavaliere (LF), McManus (3B), Twitchell (P)
Bazin (SS), Jones (C), Mardiney (LF), Fontes (DH), Lebek (RF), Candelaria (CF), Frey (2B), Centracchio (1B), Fedje-Johnson (3B), Sutherland (P)
How it Happened
After nearly 27 hour of weather delays, Rhode Island and Davidson finally opened their Atlantic 10 series Saturday night at Wilson Field.
The Wildcats (15-14, 5-2) took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second when Justin Lebek sent a leadoff homer to centerfield for the early advantage. The Rams evened it up in their next trip to the plate however, as Greg Cavaliere crossed the plate on an RBI groundout by Austin White.
Davidson put a pair or runs on the board in the bottom of the third however, and added two more in the fourth, and another in the sixth, to lead 6-1 through six complete.
Rhody (14-17, 7-3) got a run back in the top of the seventh - when Xavier Vargas scored on a Davidson error - but the Wildcats plated a run in the bottom of the inning to push their lead back to five.
The Rams managed just one base-runner through the final two frames, eventually falling 7-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Austin White went 2-for-4 with and RBI and one stolen base.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas and junior Greg Cavaliere each singled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana recorded Rhody's only other hit of the night, a fifth-inning single.
- Sophomore Ryan Twitchell was charged with the loss, allowing three runs on four hits over a 2.1-inning start. He also issued one walk, hit one batter and recorded two strikeouts.
- Casey Sutherland earned the win for Davidson, allowing two runs - both of which were unearned - over seven innings of work. He struck out eight and walked none.
- Gabe Levy tossed the final two innings for Davidson. Like Sutherland, he did not issue a walk. It marked the first time in 31 games this season that Rhode Island did not draw at least one free pass.
The Rams and Wildcats will return to Wilson Field on Sunday morning, looking to close out the three-game series with an 11 a.m. doubleheader.