Rhody: RHP Justin Cherry
Lamar: RHP Trevin Michael
Saturday, Feb. 15 – 5:00 p.m. Eastern
Coverage: Live Stats
Rhody: RHP Nick Robinson
Lamar: RHP Zach Bravo
Sunday, Feb. 16 – 11:00 a.m. Eastern
Coverage: Live Stats
Rhody: RHP Vitaly Jangols
Lamar: RHP Austin Faith
Rams vs. Cardinals
- The opening-weekend series between Rhode Island and Lamar will be the first-ever games between the two clubs.
- Lamar was picked to finish 12th in the 13-team Southland Conference.
- The Cardinals finished the 2019 season with an overall record of 18-36, including a 9-21 mark in conference play.
- As a team, the Cardinals hit .274 last season and turned in a team ERA of 5.28.
- Each of Lamar's starting pitchers will be making his first career appearance for the Cardinals this weekend. Friday starter Trevin Michael transferred from Northern Oklahoma-Tonkawa, Saturday starter Zach Bravo transferred from Butler Community College and Sunday starter Austin Faith transferred from Navarro College. All three are juniors.
- JC Correa, Anthony Quirion and Logan Berlof all earned Southland Conference preseason honors. Correa was the league's First Team shortstop while Berlof (second base) and Quirion (third base) were Second Team selections.
Rhode Island in 2020
- Offensively, Rhody returns five of its top six hitters from a year ago, as well as 11 players who saw action in 20 or more games.
- Junior Xavier Vargas led the 2019 Rams with a .300 batting average, 38 RBI and .406 slugging percentage.
- Junior Jackson Coutts and senior Sonny Ulliana will also add power to the Rams lineup, having combined for 21 extra-base hits a year ago.
- Junior Austin White scored a team-best 36 runs and had a .416 on-base percentage. White also turned in a perfect fielding percentage in centerfield, recording 110 putouts and six assists.
- In addition to White, senior Greg Cavalier will be a threat on the base paths, as will redshirt junior Josh Brodeur. In 2019 Cavaliere was 14-16 in stolen base attempts while Brodeur was 9-11.
- The 2020 Rams also welcome back a pitching staff that combined to make 44 of the team's 53 starts a year ago, including 2019 Atlantic 10 All-Rookie selection Justin Cherry.
- In his first season with the Rams, Cherry made 15 appearances (nine starts). He finished the season with a 3-1 record and a 2.93 ERA.
- Redshirt senior closer Tyler Brosius - who had a breakout season last year - will bolster the Rhody bullpen after going 6-2 with six saves and a 2.27 ERA in 2019.
- Twenty of Rhode Island's first 21 games will be played on the road, including 17 in a row to open the season.
- The Rams will play 23 games outside of Rhode Island before hosting their first conference series (Dayton, April 3-5).
- Rhode Island has received votes in the 2020 USA TODAY Preseason Baseball Coaches Poll. The Rams were the lone Atlantic 10 team to collect votes from the 31 NCAA Division I coaches on USA TODAY's voting panel.
- Each coach on the panel submits a ballot with a first-place vote worth 25 points, a second-place vote worth 24 points, and so on, down to one point for 25th place. Points are then totaled to determine the nation's top-25.
- Rhody - one of four Northeast programs recognized - received four votes in the poll. UConn (7 points), Boston College (3 points) and Northeastern (1 point) also received votes.
- URI will face each of those teams this year, as well as Arizona - which also received votes (45) - and East Carolina, which earned a #19 national ranking (206 votes).