TV: Cox Sports/OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD) - Eric Frede; Abu Bakr
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
INTERNET: CoxHub.com (video) | iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VS. AMERICAN - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Tonight marks the seventh time that Rhode Island and American have met on the hardwood.
- Rhody holds a 4-2 lead in the all-time series, with all six previous meetings coming between 1965-1972.
- URI has won all three matchups in Kingston, including an 86-76 victory on Feb. 7, 1970 in Keaney Gymnasium.
- The Eagles won the last meeting - 69-64 - on Jan. 29, 1972 in Washington, D.C.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
- Rhode Island is 4-1 all-time against Patriot League opponents.
- The last Patriot League opponent to face to Rams was Lafayette on Dec. 22, 2010 (W, 73-65) in Kingston.
- On Dec. 2, Rhody will host Holy Cross. URI is 1-1 vs. the Crusaders - a charter member of the Patriot League beginning in 1990-91.
- URI also holds a 2-0 record versus Fordham when the Bronx-based school was a member of the Patriot League from 1990-95.
RHODE ISLAND IN SEASON OPENERS/HOME OPENERS
- In its 109 previous season openers, Rhode Island has posted an outstanding 86-23 (.789) winning percentage.
- In its 109 previous home openers, including games in Lippitt Hall, Rodman Hall, Keaney Gymnasium, sometimes the Providence Civic Center, and the Thomas M. Ryan Center, URI teams have posted an 96-13 (.881) record in their first home game of the season.
- Last year, the Rams began the 2014-15 campaign with a 94-54 win over Pace on Nov. 14, 2014.
- URI has played its season opener at the Ryan Center on nine occasions, going 8-1 in those games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 132-71 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
MATTHEWS SOON TO JOIN RHODE ISLAND'S 1,000 POINT CLUB
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews is one point away from becoming the 52nd Rhode Island player to score 1,000 career points.
- If Matthews tallies the point tonight vs. American, he will achieve the feat in just 65 games.
- The last Rhody player to reach the 1,000 career point mark was Xavier Munford during the 2013-14 season.
- SI.com projected that he would rank as the nation's 8th-best scorer, using a stat model among players from the top 11 conferences.
MATTHEWS & MARTIN CRACK SEVERAL NATIONAL TOP 100 LISTS
- Juniors E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin have been honored by several major national college basketball media outlets on their respective Top 100 national player lists.
- Both were selected among CBSSports.com's Top 100 (and one) College Basketball Players for 2015-16, with Matthews ranked #56 and Martin checking in at #90. Rhode Island was the only team in the A-10 with two players on the list.
- The junior duo also ranked highly on NBCSports.com's top 100 list - Matthews at #55 and Martin at #88.
- ESPN.com selected Matthews as #57 on its national top 100 list.
RHODE ISLAND: THE ATLANTIC 10'S TOUGHEST NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE IN 2015-16
- Rhode Island continues to play one of the toughest non-conference slates in the nation.
- The Rams rank first among all A-10 schools in average non-conference RPI, at 116.79.
- Rhody is followed by VCU (141.75), Dayton (142.4), La Salle (148.9), and Saint Joseph's (150.25).
- Eight of the potential 14 non-conference foes played in the postseason, including three NCAA teams: Valpo, Maryland, Providence.
- URI's average 2014-15 KenPom.com rating of the Rhode Island non-conference slate is 120.
- The composite 2014-15 record for Rhode Island's non-conference opponents is 251-172 (.593).
- Ten different conferences are represented Rhody's on non-conference slate: American (Houston); Big East (Providence); Big Ten (Maryland, Nebraska); Big 12 (TCU); Conference USA (ODU); Horizon (Valparaiso, Cleveland State); Ivy (Brown); MAAC (Rider, Iona); MVC (Illinois State); Patriot (American, Holy Cross)
- Four opponents in 2015-16 received votes in the preseason AP Top 25 poll - Providence (10), Valparaiso (5), ODU (3), and Iona.
- Potential Cancun Challenge opponent Maryland ranks third in both the AP and Coaches Polls.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Poll Position
- Rhode Island received 17 votes in the 2015-16 preseason Associated Press Top 25 poll.
- The Rams last appeared in the preseason AP Poll in 1999, checking in at #23. URI ranked #21 on the 1998 preseason poll.
- Last year, Rhody received votes in the AP Top 25 on five occasions: Nov. 24 (16 votes); Feb. 2 (1); Feb. 9 (12); Feb. 23 (3); March 2 (3).