TV: CBS Sports Network - Thad Anderson; Doug Gottlieb
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
RHODE ISLAND VS. TCU
- Today marks the second meeting between Rhode Island and TCU.
- The two teams faced off in their lone previous meeting on Nov. 9, 1998 at the Providence Civic Center, with Rhody earning an 87-85 victory in the CoSIDA Classic.
- Lamar Odom hit the gamewinner with 5.4 seconds left in his first collegiate game - he finished with 19 points, 14 rebounds, and nine assists.
- Current assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean led all scorers with 21 points.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE BIG 12
- Rhode Island is 5-11 all-time versus teams in the Big 12 Conference.
- Today's game will mark the sixth time the Rams have faced a Big 12 opponent in the last nine years.
- Last year, URI opened Orlando Classic play with a 76-60 loss to #11 Kansas.
- Rhody's last win over a Big 12 opponent came on Jan. 2, 2010 at the Mohegan Sun Arena (Rhode Island 63, Okla. State 59).
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 271-217 (.555) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 67-24 (.736) in the regular season and 76-25 (.752) in all non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won nine of its last 10 and 18 of its last 21 home non-conference games.
RHODE ISLAND IN IN-SEASON TOURNAMENTS/MULTI-TEAM EVENTS
- Dating back to the 1949-50 season, Rhode Island is 67-73 all-time in in-season tournaments.
- Rhody captured its first game in Cancun Challenge play - a 73-45 win over Cleveland State.
- Last year, the Rams went 1-2 in the Orlando Classic, falling to Kansas and Georgia Tech, while beating Santa Clara.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Last time out vs. Cleveland State, Rhody posted two of its best field goal percentage and FG% defensive marks in program history.
- URI connected on 63.4% (26-41) of its shots from the floor, while holding the Vikings to just 27.3% (15-55) on the defensive end.
- So far this season, there have only been two instances with a team shooting better than 63% from the floor, while holding its opponent to less than 30%: Butler (63.6%) vs. The Citadel (27.0%) and SMU (63.3%) vs. Sam Houston State (27.9%).
- Rhody connected on 63.4% from the floor versus Cleveland State on Nov. 21 - the fifth-best single-game FG% mark in school history.
- It is the seventh-best single-game FG% performance in the nation so far this season.
- URI connected on 70.0% from the floor in the first half and 57.1% in the second half vs. the Vikings.
THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS - KENPOM.COM METRICS
- KenPom.com ranks Rhode Island fourth nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency, with a 90.9 mark.
- Defensive efficiency is a metric that measures points scored per 100 possessions - KenPom adjusts for the quality of opposing defenses, the site of each game, and when each game was played.
- Rhody also ranks 11th in effective FG% defense (37.1%), 9th in turnover% (26.7%), and 3rd in 3FG% defense (19.6%).
THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS - NCAA RANKINGS
- Rhody ranks 2nd nationally in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 48.3 points per game.
- The Rams limited American to 42 points in the season opener and held Cleveland State to just 45 points last time out.
- URI ranks 4th in 3FG% defense, limiting the opposition to just 19.6% shooting from beyond the arc.
- Last season, Rhode Island was the national leader in 3FG% defense (26.5%).
- Rhode Island also ranks 36th in overall FG% defense (34.2%) and 33rd in blocked shots per game (6.3 bpg).
- On Nov. 17 vs. Valparaiso, Hassan Martin registered his program-best ninth career game with at least six blocked shots.
- Kenny Green - URI's all-time leader in blocks - had five games with at least six blocks. Green had eight blocks in each of those games.
- With 192 career blocks, Martin is tied for 10th among all active NCAA Division I players. He is third among active juniors.
- His 2.81 blocks per game average is sixth-best among all active players. LSU's Jordan Mickey (3.37 bpg) tops the list.
- Martin is 43 blocked shots away from tying assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean for second place on URI's all-time blocks list (235).
GARRETT NOTCHES HIS 100TH CAREER ASSIST
- Sophomore point guard Jarvis Garrett tallied his 100th career collegiate assist, last time out vs. Cleveland State.
- Since entering the starting lineup at UMass on Jan. 18, the Milwaukee native has tallied 73 assists over his last 21 games.
- As a starter, Garrett has a 2.15:1 assist-turnover ratio while playing an average of 31.0 minutes over the 21-game span.
- Rhode Island currently ranks 66th nationally in 3-point FG percentage, connecting on 39.0% of its attempts from outside.
- Last season, the Rams ranked near the bottom of the list nationally - 313th - in 3-point FG percentage.
- Individually, Four McGlynn (52.9%) has paced the perimeter production - ranking 59th nationally.
CAREER-HIGHS FOR IVERSON; CBSSPORTS.COM TOP 20 IMPACT TRANSFER
- Memphis transfer Kuran Iverson posted new career-highs in scoring and rebounding vs. Cleveland State.
- The 6-9 forward scored 15 points (5-9 FG) and grabbed eight rebounds in 28 minutes of action.
- Iverson joined the Rams' roster for the 2015 spring semester and won an appeal to compete immediately.
- CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein tabs Iverson as one of the nation's top 20 impact transfers for this season.
- A native of Hartford, Conn., Iverson ranked as the 28th-best prep prospect on Rivals.com, while ESPN ranked him #33.