GAME DAY CENTRAL:
STREAM: ESPN3/Ivy League Digital Network - Scott Cordischi, Russ Tyler
RHODE ISLAND VS. BROWN
- Rhode Island continues its longest rivalry when it hosts Brown for the 157th time.
- URI holds a 103-53 lead in the all-time series, dating back to the 1909-10 season.
- The Rams earned an 80-60 victory last year at the Ryan Center (Dec. 31, 2014)
- Rhody has captured the last three, 12 of the last 13, and 18 of the last 20 meetings.
- Rhode Island is 41-39 all-time as the away team in the long-running series.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE IVY LEAGUE
- Rhode Island is 119-65 against teams that are members of the Ivy League.
- Outside of Brown (156 meetings) - the Rams are 16-12 against Ivy League foes.
- Rhody's second most common Ivy foe is Yale (5-7), followed by Harvard (7-2).
RHODE ISLAND IN NON-CONFERENCE PLAY
- Since joining the Eastern 8 in 1980, URI is 276-220 (.556) in non-conference play.
- Rhody is 72-25 in the regular season and 81-26 overall in non-conference games played at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- URI has won 12 of its last 14 and 21 of its last 25 home non-conference games.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Home & Away Splits
- So far this season, Rhode Island has posted better statistical splits at home (eight games) vs. road/neutral contests (four games).
- Rhody is shooting 45.0% from the field and 34.5% from 3FG at home and 40.1% FG/30.2% 3FG away from the Ryan Center.
- Defensively, URI is holding foes to 39.4% FG and 25.9% 3FG. Those figures jump to 50.5% and 52.4%, respectively away from home.
- One stat that the Rams improve upon when on the road? Free throw percentage.
- URI is shooting 58.5% (127-217) at home from the charity stripe and 70.1% (68-97) in road/neutral venues.
- The biggest individual splits: Jared Terrell (58.6% at home; 77.8% road/neutral) and Kuran Iverson (47.5% home; 61.5% r/n).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 30
- Rhode Island is 12-11 all-time in games played on December 30.
- Notable Dec. 30 victories: consecutive wins over North Carolina in 1949 (65-60) and 1950 (93-69) in the Dixie Classic; a 1966 win over Northwestern in the ECAC Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden; and a 1995 win over USC in the Rainbow Classic.
- URI is 1-1 vs. Brown on the Dec. 30 date, with a win at home in 1986 (101-62) and a 67-61 loss in 1974 at the Holiday Festival at MSG.
- Dec. 30 marks the dual celebration of National Date Nut Bread Day and Forefathers Day - commemorating the landing of the Mayflower.
- Notable Dec. 30 birthdays: a few potential G.O.A.T.'s - LeBron James, Sandy Koufax, Tiger Woods; poet/author Rudyard Kipling, and 2/4 of the Monkees - Mike Nesmith and Davy Jones.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last three games, Garrett has made 6-of-10 from the perimeter - including 3-of-5 at Nebraska and 3-of-4 vs. Iona.
LIMITING LEADING SCORERS
- Through the first 12 games of the season, Rhody has held its opposing leading scorer below his scoring average eight times.
- On Dec. 19, Iona's leading scorer A.J. English (25.0 ppg) missed the game due to injury.
- Nebraska's Andrew White III entered the game averaging 17.5 points per game and managed just nine on Dec. 13.
- On Dec. 8, Rhody held Houston's Rob Gray Jr. to 14 points - more than 4.0 points below his season average of 18.4 ppg.
- On Dec. 5 vs. Providence, the Rams held National Player of the Year candidate Kris Dunn to 15 points - 3.6 below his season average.
- Others: Jesse Reed - American (14.3 avg/7 pts); Alec Peters - Valpo (18.0 avg./14 pts); Demonte Flannigan - Cleveland State (16.5 avg./4 pts.); Vlad Brodziansky - TCU (14.9 avg./8 pts.); Malachi Alexander - Holy Cross (10.7 avg./7 pts.).
- Maryland's Melo Trimble (16.0 avg::17 pts.), Rider's Xavier Lundy (11.0 avg::12 pts.), and ODU's Trey Freeman (15.6 avg.::22 pts.) each bested their season averages.
IVERSON POSTS SECOND DOUBLE-DOUBLE OF SEASON AT ODU
- Kuran Iverson scored 14 points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds at ODU - his second double-double of the season.
- It also marked the second consecutive game - and third overall - in which the 6-9 junior reached double-digits in rebounds.
- He leads the Rams - and ranks 11th in the A-10 - pulling down 6.8 boards per contest.