GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: American Sports Network - Ed Cohen, John Griffin
LOCAL CLEARANCE: NESN Plus | Full Clearance List (pdf)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS FORDHAM
- Rhode Island faces Fordham in the first of two regular season matchups.
- The Keaney Rams head to the South Bronx for the regular season finale (March 5).
- URI holds a 37-25 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to Jan. 3, 1942.
- The Rhody Rams have won seven of the last 10 vs. their Bronx counterparts.
- Last year, URI swept the regular season series
- Rhody is 19-8 all-time and has won its last six vs. Fordham at home.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 256-314 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and was the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 141-73 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and went 14-2 last year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marked the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Hassan Martin is one of seven active Division I players with at least 700 points, 500 rebounds, and 220 blocked shots
- Rhody's eight losses this season have come by an average of 6.4 points. The combined record of those eight teams: 128-42.
- Rhode Island is among 48 teams that rank in the top 100 in KenPom.com's adjusted offensive and adjusted defensive tempo marks.
- URI starters have logged close to 75% of the team's minutes on the floor this season.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - JANUARY 27
- Rhode Island is 10-5 all-time - and 4-3 in Atlantic 10 play - in games played on January 27.
- Fordham and Rhode Island played on January 27, 1973 - with the Kingston Rams earning a 92-79 victory at Keaney Gymnasium.
- January 27 marks the celebration of National Chocolate Cake Day.
- Notable January 27 birthdays: composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, author Lewis Carroll; and RMS Titanic captain Edward Smith.
MARTIN PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES
- Hassan Martin ranks 21st nationally and third in the Atlantic 10 in field goal percentage, connecting on 59.7% of his shots.
- The 6-7 forward was 7-for-7 from the floor vs. La Salle on Jan. 16. In A-10 play, he boasts a 62.5% field goal percentage.
- For his career, the junior is shooting 58.0% (314-541) - which ranks first all-time in the URI record book.
- The 58.0% shooting proficiency mark is 18th-best among all active NCAA Division I student-athletes.
SOMEWHERE IN THIS ANCIENT, MYSTIC TRINITY...
- Through 19 games, Rhode Island ranks 58th nationally 3FG%, connecting on 37.5% of its attempts from beyond the arc.
- In 2014-15, the Rams ranked near the bottom of the national rankings, checking in at 313th in 3FG% (30.3%).
- In Atlantic 10 conference play this year, Rhody leads the league as it is connecting on 43.1% (50-116) from the perimeter.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last 10 games, Garrett has made 18-of-35 from the perimeter - including a career-best 4-of-4 on Jan. 5 vs. Richmond.
- Garrett ranks second on the Rams in 3-pointers made (25 3FGM) and ranks 14th in the A-10 3FG%, connecting on 39.7%.