(cover photo courtesy of Alex Subers '15)
How It Happened
Rhode Island used a 14-2 run to start the second half, pulling away from La Salle tonight in Philadelphia.
Tied at 29-29 at the half, the Rams connected on 6-of-10 from the floor during the run to build a 44-31 lead with 15:10 left in regulation. Rhody would shoot 65.4% (17-26) from the floor - including 8-of-15 from the outside - over the final 20 minutes of play. The Rams would lead by as many as 18 points late.
La Salle led early on, taking a 10-2 lead just three minutes into the contest. Rhody would respond with a 9-0 run over the next 2:43, thanks to two traditional 3-point plays by Hassan Martin and a trey from Jarvis Garrett.
The two teams traded baskets the rest of the way, with neither team gaining more than a two-point edge. There were five ties and 10 lead changes through the first 20:00 of play.
Inside the Box Score
- Jarvis Garrett poured in a career-high 26 points in his return to the Rhody lineup after suffering a fractured jaw in the Jan. 30 game against Saint Joseph's. The sophomore point guard wore a protective face mask.
- Garrett was 11-of-19 from the floor - and 3-of-6 from the outside - while recording five rebounds, three assists and three steals in 38 minutes of play.
- Jared Terrell registered his fourth straight game with at least 20 points, finishing with 22. Terrell scored 16 of his 22 in the second half, knocking down 4-of-7 from beyond the arc in the second half. He added four rebounds, four assists, and two steals.
- Nicola Akele was perfect on the night, pouring in a career-high 15 points. He was 6-for-6 from the floor (2-2 3FG) and made his lone free throw attempt. He added four boards in 35 minutes of play.
- Hassan Martin added 14 points, seven rebounds, and a blocked shot. The junior forward now needs just two blocks to move into sole possession of second place on URI's all-time blocks list.
- The Rams shot 53.6% from the floor on the night (30-56) and made 10-of-11 from the charity stripe. Rhody also made 9-of-23 attempts from the perimeter.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
4 and 20 - Jared Terrell became the first Rhody player since Jimmy Baron did so in 2009 to tally at least 20 points in four straight games.
Baron closed out his Rhody career with 22 against UMass, 26 against Duquesne in the A-10 Tournament, 20 at Niagara in the NIT first round and 24 in his final Rhody appearance at Penn State.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
33 - Rhody scored a season-high 33 points off of 18 forced turnovers tonight at La Salle.
Rhody hosts George Mason on Tuesday, Feb. 9 in the annual Pink Out game.
The game between the Rams and Patriots will tip off at 7 p.m. and will air locally on OSN.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.