GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: CBS Sports Network - John Sadak, Alaa Abdelnaby, John Schiffren
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
INTERNET: iHeartRadio.com (audio)
Head to George's of Galilee on Tuesday night for the official Rhody Basketball Viewing Party, beginning at 5 p.m.
Join your fellow Rhody fans for the nationally televised game on CBS Sports Network and enjoy a complimentary beer or wine, buck-a-shuck raw bar, and free hors d'oeuvres.
George's of Galilee is located at 250 Sand Hill Cove Rd. in Narragansett.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAVIDSON
- Rhody and Davidson meet on the hardwood for the fifth time overall.
- The all-time series between the Rams and Wildcats is tied, 2-2.
- Last year marked the first A-10 game between the two schools, with Davidson earning a 60-59 victory on Feb. 25, 2015 in Kingston.
- Rhode Island won both games of a home/home series in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- In the first meeting between the two schools, Davidson earned a 95-65 win on March 7, 1966 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 260-318 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 23
- URI is 20-13 all-time and 4-6 in Atlantic 10 play in games played on February 23.
- February 23 marks the celebration of National Banana Bread Day.
- Notable February 23 birthdays: Civil Rights activist W.E.B. DuBois, actress Emily Blunt, and composer George Frederick Handel.
JARVIS GARRETT - ALL-ATLANTIC 10 AND LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore is second on the Rams in scoring (13.5 ppg.) while leading in assists (4.5 apg), and 3FG% (44.0%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 25th, 6th, and 3rd, respectively, in the A-10.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign (see box at right).
- He scored a career-high 26 points at La Salle on Feb. 6 after returning to the Rams' lineup after suffering a fractured jaw on Jan. 30.
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 22 of the 26 games he has played in this season.
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine over the five-game span.
- Garrett is averaging 17.6 ppg, shooting 50.0% from the floor (33-66) and making 52.6% (11-25) from 3FG.
- The sophomore point guard is also averaging 5.4 assists, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.4 steals per game since donning the mask.
- Garrett poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
- Last time out, Garrett had 17 points (5-10 FG) at home against Duquesne, adding eight assists, four steals and four boards.
THREE AND FOUR AND FIVE...
- Four McGlynn is 13-of-26 from 3-point land over his last four games.
- On Feb. 12, the graduate student made 5-of-9 treys en route to scoring 19 points vs. Dayton.
- Against George Mason on Feb. 9, the graduate student made 6-of-11 long range shots en route to scoring a game-high 25 points.
- McGlynn has hit at least five 3FG in a game this season four times and has 11 career games with at least five triples.
- He leads the Rams with 64 made trifectas and ranks ninth in the A-10 in 3-pointers made, averaging 2.4 3FG/g.
...AND SIX AND 20
- Jared Terrell has posted six 20-point performances over the past eight games, dating back to the Jan. 27 game vs. Fordham.
- Over the eight games, Terrell is averaging 21.0 points per game, while shooting close to 50.0% from the floor.
- He scored a career-high 25 points against Fordham on Jan. 27. Last time out vs. Duquesne, he scored 20 points on just 10 FGA.
- Terrell's scoring average has jumped, increasing by 3.0 points per game - from 10.9 to 13.9 points- in less than a month.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(s) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Odds & Ends from the Duquesne Game
- Rhode Island moved to 1-6 this season when allowing an opponent to shoot 50.0% or better from the floor.
- Last time out, Duquesne shot 50.9%. The last time URI won when allowing at least 50.0%? - vs. Saint Joseph's on March 7. 2015.
- The Rhody bench has been outscored 87-24 over the last six games. Last time out vs. Duquesne, Rhody reserves were outscored, 18-6.
- The Rams managed to grab just four offensive rebounds vs. Duquesne - tying the season-low (at GW; vs. Mason).
- Rhody has not posted a losing record in a single month since February, 2014 (1-7).
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, two Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 56.9% of his attempts from beyond the arc (29-51).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.6 blocks per game (34 blocks in 13 games).
- As a team, Rhody leads the league in blocked shots (5.4 bpg) and is second in scoring defense (66.1 ppg).
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 6 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team is 27-9.
- On the 16 occasions where Terrell has 15 or more points, Rhody has compiled a 11-5 record.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Over his last 17 games, he has made 33-of-63 of his 3-point attempts - including 4-of-4 vs. Richmond and 4-of-5 vs. Mason.
- In Atlantic 10 play (13 games played), Garrett leads the league in 3FG%, connecting on 56.9% (29-51) from the outside.
- Garrett has registered seven games with at least three made 3-pointers this season.