GAME DAY CENTRAL:
TV: Cox Sports/OSN - Keith Irizarry, Abu Bakr
AUDIO: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald, Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS FORDHAM
- Rhode Island faces Fordham in the second of two regular season matchups.
- On Jan. 27, the Keaney Rams downed the Bronx Rams, 79-63, in Kingston, R.I.
- URI holds a 38-25 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to Jan. 3, 1942.
- The Rhody Rams have won four of the last five and seven of the last 10 matchups.
- In URI's last visit to Rose Hill Gym on Jan. 28, 2015, Gilvydas Biruta's buzzer-beating tip-in gave Rhody a 64-63 win.
- Rhody is 17-16 all-time when playing as the road team vs. Fordham.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 262-319 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- With a win this afternoon, URI would post consecutive seasons with 10 or more A-10 wins for the first time since the 1997-98 and 1998-98 seasons.
- Last season, the Rams posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 5
- URI is 17-6 all-time and 1-3 in regular season A-10 games played on March 5.
- The last time Rhody played on March 5, URI downed Fordham, 77-65, in 2014.
- Rhody is also 2-1 in A-10 Tourney play on the March 5 date, including a buzzer-beater win in the 1999 A-10 Tournament.
- Lamar Odom's 35-foot 3-pointer as time expired in Philadelphia gave Rhody its first A-10 Championship, 62-59, over Temple in 1999.
- March 5 also marks the tri-celebration of National Cheese Doodle, National Absinthe, and National Multiple Personality Days.
- Notable March 5 birthdays: playmaker Michael Irvin, actress Eva Mendes, super model Niki Taylor, and actor Kevin Connolly.
JARVIS GARRETT - ALL-ATLANTIC 10 AND LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD
- Jarvis Garrett is one of the top guards - and a leading candidate for the Most Improved Player award - in the Atlantic 10.
- The sophomore is second on the Rams in scoring (12.9 ppg.) while leading in assists (4.7 apg), and 3FG% (43.6%) min. 20 3FGM.
- Those totals rank 25th, 6th, and 3rd, respectively, in the league.
- In A-10 games only, he ranks 22nd, 3rd, and 1st in the conference.
- The Milwaukee native has shown a marked improvement in his production since last year's freshman campaign (see box at right).
- Garrett has reached double figures in the scoring column in 23 of the 29 games he has played in this season.
- His nine assists last time out vs. UMass gave him 136 for the season, putting him 10th on URI's single-season assists list.
- Garrett's 4.7 assists per game would rank as the highest single-season average since Parfait Bitee in 2007-08 (4.7 apg).
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhody held UMass to just 12 first half points (5-26 FG) on March 3. It is the lowest single-half opponent scoring total since 2012-13.
- On Jan. 4, 2013, the Rams held Brown to 14 first half points (5-20 FG). On Dec. 22, 2013, URI held UNH to 15 points (2-21 FG).
- Four players - Kuran Iverson, Four McGlynn, Jared Terrell, and Nicola Akele - each had two 3FG vs. UMass on March 3.
- That has happened on two previous occasions this season - at Nebraska and at home vs. Saint Louis.
- Kuran Iverson has two games this season with at least 13 points, 12 rebounds, two assists, and three blocked shots this season.
- Rhody's win over Dayton (RPI - 17) on Feb. 27 was the biggest RPI victory since the 1998 NCAA Tourney win over Kansas (RPI - 1).
- If URI can win its final A-10 game this afternoon, it would mark the first time since 1997-98 and 1998-99 that the Rams posted consecutive seasons with 10 or more conference wins.
- With the win vs. UMass on March 3, Rhode Island registered 13 home victories for just the fourth time in program history.
- It also happened in 2014-15 (14), 2009-10 (15), and 1977-78 (13 - 9 in Keaney; 4 in the Providence Civic Center).
- Dan Hurley is the only coach in Rhode Island history to have two seasons with at least 13 home wins.
- It also marks the first time in program history that the Rams have won 13 or more home games in consecutive seasons.
- Since returning to the Rams' lineup on Feb. 6 with his protective mask, Jarvis Garrett has continued to shine in Atlantic 10 play.
- Over the eight-game span, Garrett is averaging 14.0 ppg, while shooting 48.3% (14-29) from 3FG.
- The sophomore point guard is also averaging 5.8 assists, 3.9 rebounds, and 1.8 steals per game since donning the mask.
- Garrett's pre-injury A-10 averages: 15.3 ppg, 50.0% FG (42-84), 59.4% 3FG (19-32), 3.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 0.9 steals.
- The Milwaukee native poured in a career-best 26 points in his return at La Salle on Feb. 6 after suffering a broken jaw on Jan. 30.
KEEP IT 100
- Dan Hurley registered his 100th career victory as a collegiate coach on March 3 vs. UMass. His overall career is 100-85 (.541)
- In his fourth year at Rhode Island, Hurley has won 62 games at the helm of the Rams - including 40 over the past two seasons.
- In his two seasons at Wagner, Hurley compiled a 38-22 record, including a program-record 25 wins during the 2011-12 season.
- Prior to Wagner, Hurley was the highly successful head coach at St. Benedict's Prep, posting a 223-21 mark in nine years.
ANDRE HAS BEEN BERRY, BERRY GOOD
- Over his last two games, Andre Berry has emerged as a highly productive reserve for Rhode Island.
- Last time out, Berry tallied 10 points and six rebounds in 13 minutes of play vs. UMass.
- He posted a season-best 15 points on Feb. 27 at Dayton, connecting on all seven of his field goal attempts.
- Berry has scored 25 points, making 11-of-13 field goal attempts in 30 minutes of action over the last two contests.
- Through the first 28 games of the year, Berry had posted a total of 19 points in 63 minutes played.
CLIMBING THE CHARTS - RHODY RECORD BOOK REVISIONS
- Jarvis Garrett (136 total assists) moved into the #10 spot on Rhody's single-season assists list.
- Four McGlynn's 70 3-pointers also moved him into the #10 spot on the URI single-season 3FG made list.
- McGlynn's 87.2% free throw proficiency mark would be the fourth-best in Rhode Island single-season history.
- Hassan Martin's 65 blocked shots this season is the sixth-best single-season total at Rhode Island.
- Martin also holds the #2 (103 blocks in 2014-15) and #5 (85 in 2013-14) spots on the single-season blocks list.
- The junior finished just five FGM shy of qualifying for URI's single-season FG% list. His 57.1% mark would rank third all-time.
- For his career, Martin's 57.3% field goal percentage ranks atop the URI career FG% list.
WHERE RHODY RANKS - ATLANTIC 10 ONLY STATS
- In Atlantic 10 conference play, two Rhody players lead the league in respective statistical categories.
- Jarvis Garrett is the leader in 3FG percentage, making 54.1% of his attempts from beyond the arc (33-61).
- Hassan Martin is the A-10 leader in blocked shots in league play, averaging 2.4 blocks per game (34 blocks in 14 games).
- Four McGlynn sits atop the A-10 only free throw percentage list, connecting on 35-of-37 from the charity stripe (94.6%).
- As a team, Rhody leads the league in blocked shots (5.5 bpg) and scoring defense (65.1 ppg), and is second in 3FG% (39.1%).
THE INJURY BUG BITES.
- Hassan Martin - a 2015-16 Preseason All-Atlantic 10 First Team selection - will miss the remainder of the season due to injury (stress fracture - right patella).
- It is the second time that Martin - and the fourth time overall this season - that a Rhody starter has missed time due to injury.
- The Staten Island native suffered a grade 3 ankle sprain in the first half at ODU on Dec. 22 and missed the next two games.
- In the season opener, fellow Preseason A-10 First Teamer E.C. Matthews suffered a torn ACL and has missed 29 games so far this year.
- Kuran Iverson has missed four games; the Dec. 30 game at Brown due to an injured ankle and three games (Feb. 2-Feb. 9) after recovering from a concussion that occurred after a Flagrant Foul against Saint Joseph's on Jan. 30.
- Jarvis Garrett missed the game at UMass on Feb. 2 due to a broken jaw, also due to a Flagrant 1 vs. Saint Joseph's on Jan. 30.
- Additionally, reserve guard Christion Thompson (concussion protocol) has missed the previous three games.
- Out of a potential 155 starting positions this season, Rhode Island starters have missed 32% of the season due to injury.
- Last year, URI had 165 starting positions and lost exactly one to injury - E.C. Matthews vs. St. Bona on Jan. 25, 2015.
A LEANER TERRELL AIMS TO CONTINUE TRENDING
- In his Rhode Island career, on the 39 occasions in which Jared Terrell scored in double-figures, the team is 29-10.
- On the 18 occasions where Terrell has 15 or more points, Rhody has compiled a 13-5 record.
- As a 2014-15 A-10 All-Rookie team selection, he was named the CBSSports.com/National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3, 2015.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native dropped from his playing weight of 225 as a freshman to 215 at the start of practice this year.
GARRETT CONNECTING FROM LONG-RANGE
- Through the first nine games of the season, Jarvis Garrett was shooting 5-for-28 from beyond the arc - a 17.9% clip from 3FG.
- Since then, he has made 37-of-73 of his 3FG attempts (50.7%) - including 4-of-4 vs. Richmond and 4-of-5 vs. Mason.
- In Atlantic 10 play (16 games played), Garrett leads the league in 3FG%, connecting on 54.1% (33-61) from the outside.
- Garrett has registered eight games with at least three made 3-pointers this season.