Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: at Houston
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VS. HOUSTON - ALL-TIME SERIES
- Rhode Island and Houston will face each other for the sixth time.
- URI is 1-4 all-time against UH, with the lone win coming on Dec. 8, 2015 (67-57). Three of the five previous meetings were played in Houston.
- Former Rhody head coach Tom Penders (1986-88) also served as the head coach of the Cougars from 2004-10, making the postseason in five of his six seasons.
RHODE ISLAND VS. THE AMERICAN
- Rhody is 2-1 against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Earlier this season, the Rams earned a 76-71 victory over #24/25 Cincinnati on Nov. 19.
- Last year, the Rams earned a 67-57 win vs. Houston on Dec. 8, 2015.
- The Rams are 101-172 against teams which now constitute the American. Two of URI's most common opponents are now in the AAC.
- Connecticut (66-79) is URI's second-most common opponent from their days in the Yankee Conference, while Temple (15-57) is Rhody's eighth-most common foe and most recently a member of the A-10.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- The ODU game was the second straight game where Rhode Island had more turnovers than assists. The 15 turnovers were a season-high.
- Despite the season high in turnovers, Rhody ranks 18th nationally in turnovers, averaging 10.8 per game.
- URI is one 25 teams to rank among the top 45 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency marks, per KenPom.com.
- Rhode Island held ODU without a made 3FG. The last time a URI opponent went oh-fer the perimeter was Feb. 20, 2010 (Fordham).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - DECEMBER 10
- Rhode Island is 8-17 all-time in games played on the December 10 calendar date.
- December 10 marks the dual celebration of National Dewey Decimal System Day and National UN Human Rights Day.
- On this date in 1896: the first intercollegiate basketball game is played. Wesleyan edged Yale, 4-3.
- Also on this date in 1964, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is awarded the Nobel Prize in Oslo, Norway.
- Notable Dec. 10 birthdays: celebrity chef Bobby Flay, poet Emily Dickinson, and abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison.
THE ODU GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhody held the Monarchs to 29.2% shooting from the floor - including 0-for-6 from the perimeter.
- The 39 points allowed was the lowest opponent scoring total since Nov. 29, 2005 when the Rams held Boston Univ. to 38 points.
- Stanford Robinson tallied a career-high five steals and Rams registered 10 as a team; the second double-digit steal mark of the year.
- It marked the 150th win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center since the building opened in 2002.
THE NON-CONFERENCE SLATE HEATING UP
- Rhode Island will face its fourth opponent ranked in the top 50 of the NCAA RPI (through 10 games) today at Houston.
- Rhody has played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country, with a strength of schedule (SOS) ranking of 27.
- Duke (22), Cincinnati (34), Houston (47), and Valparaiso (50) are ranked in the top 50.
- Three of those games - Valpo, Providence, and Houston - are true road games, while two - vs. Cincinnati and vs. Duke - were neutral.
- KenPom.com rankings of Rhody's opponents: Duke (1), Cincinnati (21), Providence (48), Houston (55), Valpo (80), ODU (99).
- URI is the only top 50 RPI team to have played three other top 50 RPI teams in true road games so far this season.
SUPREME DEFENSIVE EFFORT VS. ODU
Lowest Point Total (39)
- The 39 points were the fewest by a Rhody opponent in a single-game since Nov. 29, 2005, when Boston University scored 38 points.
- It set a new Ryan Center record for fewest points allowed. The previous mark was 42, on Nov. 13, 2015 vs. American.
- It is the 10th-lowest single-game point total in a game featuring two NCAA Division I teams this season.
First Half Point Total (17)
- The Rams held ODU to 17 first half points - the lowest first half total since La Salle scored 17 points on Jan. 22, 2015.
- Prior to that, on Dec. 22, 2013, New Hampshire scored 15 first half points.
- Rhody forced 19 turnovers and notched 10 steals - the second time this season with at least 19 TO forced and 10 steals.
- URI forced 20 turnovers and registered 12 steals in the season opener vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11, 2016.
3-pointers Made (0)
- URI held ODU without a made 3-point FG (0-6) - the last time a Rhody foe did not make a 3FG was Feb. 22, 2010 (Fordham 0-5).
FG% Defense (29.2%
- URI's FG% defensive mark of 29.2% was the lowest since holding Cleveland State to 27.3% from the floor on Nov. 21, 2015..
- For the second time this season, Stanford Robinson set a new career-high in steals.
- Robinson notched five steals in 22 minutes against ODU on Dec. 6. Earlier this season, he had four steals vs. Dartmouth on Nov. 11.
- The junior guard leads Rhode Island with 13 steals on the season (1.44 steals per game).
- During the preseason, Robinson said that his goal is to become one the best defensive players in the Atlantic 10.
MATTHEWS ON THE WATCHLIST FOR NAISMITH, LUTE OLSEN, JERRY WEST AWARDS
- Junior guard E.C. Matthews has been recognized on the watchlists of three major national awards.
- On Nov. 9, Matthews was listed among 50 players on the watchlist for the Naismith Men's College Player of the Year award.
- He is also on the watchlist for the Lute Olson Award - presented to the nation's top player who has played at least two seasons.
- For the third straight season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list.