Harris, Martin, Russell, Dowtin, Langevine
Days, Smart, Watford, Mays, Williams
How it Happened
Big man Emmitt Williams led the way as LSU was able to power past Rhode Island 96-83 on the final day of the Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic Sunday afternoon.
The Tigers (4-2) scored 54 points in the paint, most of which came from Williams. He was 12-for-17 from the floor, scoring 27 points and grabbing nine rebounds. His performance keyed an offense that shot 54.3 percent from the field for the day, including 59.5 percent in the second half.
The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for Rhode Island (4-2). Rhody led by as many as seven in the first half, but it could not keep pace with the Tigers.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Fatts Russell topped 20 points for the fourth straight game, finishing with 26 points on 8-of-16 shooting, including 4-of-7 from 3-point range.
- Russell also had a career-high eight assists, four rebounds and three steals. He has had at least three steals in all six games this season.
- Senior Cyril Langevine had 16 points and six rebounds, while senior Jeff Dowtin added 15 points.
- Freshman Jacob Toppin was the fourth player in double figures, scoring 10 points and grabbing three rebounds.
- The first half was very evenly played. Both teams had eight assists on 16 field goals.
Rhode Island returns home in time to host Manhattan Wednesday, Nov. 27. Game time is 4 p.m.