RHODE ISLAND (18-5, 10-2 A-10)
Starters: Harris, Martin, Russell, Dowtin, Langevine
Subs: Walker, Long, Toppin
DAYTON (22-2, 11-0 A-10)
Starters: Chatman, Toppin, Landers, Crutcher, Mikesell
Subs: Watson, Cohill, Tshimanga, Matos, Wilson
How it Happened
Rhode Island's 10-game win streak came to a halt as the Rams fell into a deep hole early and could not recover at Dayton, losing 81-67.
The No. 6 Flyers scored the first 17 points of the game, taking control from the start. Dayton was 9-of-11 from the floor to open the game, including 4-for-5 from 3-point range. The hot shooting helped the Flyers build a 25-8 lead less than nine minutes into the game. Trey Landers, Obi Toppin and Ryan Mikesell each had seven points during the early burst.
The lead got to as many as 19 before the Rams began to chip away. Rhode Island was able to cut the deficit to nine points following a Jeff Dowtin basket with 1:05 left in the half. However, a technical foul on the URI bench helped Dayton go on a 7-2 run in the final 46 seconds of the half, pushing the Flyer lead to 49-35 at the break.
Fatts Russell scored the first four points of the second half to trim Dayton's lead to 10 points at 49-39. However, the Flyers responded with an 8-0 run and built their lead from there. Rhode Island was unable to mount a comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island's seven-game winning streak in Atlantic 10 road games was snapped. Dayton, meanwhile, improved to 14-0 at UD Arena this season.
- Senior Jeff Dowtin had 11 points, four assists and no turnovers in 35 minutes.
- Senior Cyril Langevine had his second straight double-double, his seventh of the season. He finished with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
- With his first rebound of the game, Langevine became the fifth player in program history with 900 career rebounds. The others are Art Stephenson (1,048 from 1965-68), Gary Koenig (1,039 from 1959-62), Antonio Reynolds-Dean (1,028 from 1995-99) and Kenny Green (996 from 1985-90).
- Sophomore Tyrese Martin had 15 points and seven rebounds.
- After being limited to two points in the first half, junior Fatts Russell finished with 19 points. This despite missing a chunk of the second half while having a cut on his head addressed.
- Dayton's Obi Toppin (20 points, 10 rebounds) and Jalen Crutcher (21 points) combined for 43 points.
- Trey Landers (10 points) was the only other Flyer in double digits.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center for a game against Saint Joseph's Saturday, Feb. 15. The game is at noon on CBSSN.