Posted: Apr 27, 2018
- Grand Cypress Golf Club - Orlando, Fla.
- Par 72 (7,024 yards)
- First Round: Friday, April 27
- Second Round: Saturday, April 28
- Third Round: Sunday, April 29
- The Field: 11 teams, 55 golfers
- Weather: 80 degrees, sunny, humid
- Rhode Island finished the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship in seventh place.
- The Rams combined to shoot 20-over (308) through the first 18 holes.
- Dayton and Davidson lead the field after Day One, tying for first with a 12-over 300.
- Also ahead of Rhody is VCU (+15), Richmond (+16), George Mason (+17) and Saint Joseph's (+17).
- URI will enter Saturday's round three strokes ahead of eighth-place Fordham (311).
- Redshirt junior Brody King was Rhode Island's top finisher, carding an even 72 to tie for second place overall. He finished one stroke behind Dayton's Tripp French, who leads the field of 55 after one round.
- Junior Dawson Jones shot four over (76) to end Round 1 tied for 18th place. He was even on the back nine after going 4-over on the front nine.
- Freshmen Chris Francoeur and Bobby Weise are tied for 36th place through the first 18 holes of the tournament. Both finished the day 8-over par (80).
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Short finished two strokes behind Framcoeur and Weise, tying for 41st overall with a +10 82.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- Obviously, Brody continued the play that led us to the Rhode Invitational title. He was terrific, but we really faced a mixed bag after that.
- We were not sure if Chris would be able to even play, let alone finish, after being so sick last night. He gutted out just playing the back nine.
- Bobby hit it as well as he has all year but got a couple bad breaks that really hurt his score.
- Dawson shot four over and really only made just a couple bad swings.
- We were 10 over on two holes we figured to play in even par so there is room to improve dramatically.
- We are in 7th, exactly where the A-10 coaches said we'd be. This weekend, we get to say where we'll be. It is that easy.
The Rams return to Grand Cypress Golf Club for Round Two action, Saturday morning.