Mar 17, 2019
- Cape Fear National Golf Club - Leland, N.C.
- Par 72 course (6,850 yards)
- First & Second Rounds: Sunday, March 17
- Third Round: Monday, March 18
- The Field: 9 teams, 51 golfers
- Rhode Island sits in first place through the first two rounds of the tournament, having combined for a two-run team score of 584 (293-291).
- The Rams have four players in the top-10.
- South Carolina Beaufort is one stroke behind the Rams, with a 9-over 585.
- Towson (605), Appalachain State (619) and North Dakota (640) round out the top-5.
- Redshirt senior Brody King will enter Monday's final round one stroke off the lead with a 1-under 143 (71-72). He birdied five holes in each round.
- Sophomore Chris Francoeur is one stroke behind King, tied for third overall with an even 144. After carding an opening-round 74, he recorded four birdies in the afternoon for a 2-under 70.
- Senior Dawson Jones is in sixth place, at three stroke over par (72-75=147).
- Redshirt junior Jason Short is tied for ninth overall with a +6 150 (76-74).
- Freshman Austin Fox will enter the third round of play tied for 40th overall (89-81=170).
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- We had a lot of positives today. The guys have worked incredibly hard all week and today proved that.
- Brody bounced back after Palmetto, as we knew he would.
- Chris hit the ball as well as anyone we've ever had.
- Dawson played better than his score, and I expect a great number out of him tomorrow.
- Jason struggled in his first four holes and was 2-over through the next 34. That defines him.
- Our first four solidified their positions and really showed a lot of grit. Austin was the last guy with the virus that has run through our team, so he came into the tournament really weak, but showed his toughness today playing 36.
- Sometimes college golf is about surviving a bad start. Austin and Jason did that today.
- We will be in a dogfight with a southern team tomorrow. We'll see how tough we are.
The Rams return to the Palmetto Golf Club for the final round of play Tuesday morning.