Spenser, Cloutier, Camillo, Matthews, Caselatto, Naples, Oakley, Moran, Sohn, Sykes, Discavage
Knaub, McCormick, Tejada, Guerriero, Addonizio, Morrissey, Murphy, Larocque, Norat, Flaim, Lamar
27:04 - URI - Matt Sykes (Mike Discavage, Bryce Naples)
35:26 - URI - Matt Sykes (Bryce Naples)
43:57 - BRY - Jake Lamar (Shane Murphy)
71:06 - URI - Matt Sykes (Ryan Oakley)
How It Happened
Rhode Island took a 1-0 in the 28th minute when Matt Sykes netted his first goal of the season off a pair of passes from Bryce Naples and Mike Discavage. Naples and Sykes connected again just eight minutes later as Naples touched a pass to Sykes, who then blasted a shot off the inside of the near post and across the goal line for the 2-0 Rhody advantage.
Bryant cut the lead in half just before time expired in the first frame, making it a 2-1 game after a goal by Jake Lamar. However, Sykes struck again in the 72nd minutes, burying a feed from Ryan Oakley to seal the 3-1 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 1-2-0 while Bryant drops to 1-3-0.
- Rhode Island held a 19-11 advantage in total shots and a 12-8 edge in shots on goal.
- The Bulldogs out-cornered the Rams, 7-5. Bryant's lone goal was off a corner in the 44th minute.
- Bryant committed 10 fouls to URI's nine.
- Thomas Spenser picked up his first win of the season in goal for URI, matching his season-high with six saves on the night. Chris Knaube turned away nine shots for the Bulldogs.
- Matt Sykes led all players with eight shots - six of which were on goal. Bryant's Tony Flaim and Jake Lamar each had three attempts.
- The win marked the first victory for Gareth Elliott as head coach of the Rams.
- It also keeps Rhode Island unbeaten in the all-time series vs. Bryant, as the Rams move to 3-0-1.
- Sykes' hat trick was the first of his career and the Rams' second in as many seasons as Matt Ribbens achieved the feat in last season's Senior Day win over St. Bonaventure.
- Sykes now leads all active players with 28 career points on 10 goals and eight assists.
- Naples' pair of assists mark his first collegiate points.
- Mike Discavage and Ryan Oakley also picked up their first career assists on Sykes' first and third goal of the game, respectively.
- The game marked the final game of the 2013 Ocean State Classic. Both Sykes and Trevor Moran were named to the All-Tournament team.
The Rams return to action on Friday night when they travel to Stony Brook for a 7 p.m. match against the Seawolves.