Spenser, Cloutier, Camillo, Caselatto, Naples, Oakley, Haught, Soons, Ferguson, Sykes, Discavage
Wells, Castillo, Harvey, Monge Solano, Bowie, Belmar, Duffie, Shiffman, Keita, Manel, Fisher
11:19 - VCU - Ritchie Duffie (Jose Manel)
81:23 - VCU - Garrett harvey (Juan Monge Solano)
88:15 - URI - Matt Sykes (Joey Haught)
88:21 - VCU - Jose manel (Dakota Barnathan)
How It Happened
VCU struck early on, taking a 1-0 lead at the 11:19 mark when Ritchie Duffie tucked away a header from Jose Manel. Just over 70 minutes later, Garrett Harvey headed in a corner kick by Juan Monde Solano to put an insurance goal on the board late in the second half (81:23).
Rhody continued to apply pressure and managed to cut the lead in half when redshirt senior Joey Haught set up junior Matt Sykes' team-leading fifth goal of the season at 88:15. However, VCU pushed its lead back to two just six seconds later when Manel chipped in a long strike from the center circle, catching redshirt sophomore Thomas Spenser off guard and lifting the home team to a 3-1 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- With the loss, Rhode Island drops to 2-7-0 on the season and 0-1-0 in the Atlantic 10. VCU, meanwhile, improves to 6-4-1 overall (2-0-0).
- VCU outshot URI, 14-10. The home team registered seven shots in each half while the visiting Rams had five in each half.
- VCU also out-cornered Rhode Island, 5-3.
- The two teams combined for 16 fouls. VCU picked up the long yellow card of the game.
- Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Thomas Spenser turned away three shots on the afternoon. VCU's Andrew Wells finished with four saves.
- Sykes' goal was his fifth of the season and 11th of his career. He leads all active players with 32 career points on 12 goals and eight assists.
- Haught's assist was his first point of the season. He now has seven for his career and 13 points total (3g/7a).
- Sophomore Marcus Micheletti saw his first action for URI, logging 71 minutes on the pitch.
- Freshman Rerom Deyls and sophomore Rainer Randell both logged career-highs in minutes played with 71 and 70, respectively.
- Rhody was playing without starters Wesley Matthews and Trevor Moran who missed the game as a result of card accumulation. Matthews picked up his fifth yellow at George Mason on Friday while Moran was red carded against the Patriots.
The Rams are back in action next weekend when they travel to UMass for a Sunday afternoon game against the Minutemen.