RHODE ISLAND (0-2-1)
Starters: Schmidt (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Trcka, Benco, Zarokostas, Tamburini, Booth, Maddox, Akselsen
Substitutes: Drayer, Arhin, Kawale
BOSTON COLLEGE (3-0-0)
Starters: Piccardo (GK), Aegisson, Longo, Kellett, Lehmann, Shapiro-Thompson, Suski, Souza, Shahgun, Sigurdson, Konradsson
Substitutes: Rose, French, Diniz
12:46 - BC - Shapiro-Thompson
15:08 - URI - Trcka (Akselsen)
86:09 - BC - Sigurdson
How It Happened
An 87th-minute goal from Stefan Sigurdson broke a 1-1 deadlock and gave Boston College a 2-1 victory over Rhode Island Friday night.
The Eagles struck first, when Amos Shapiro-Thompson scored on a breakaway for the early advantage. The BC lead was short-lived however, as Simon Trcka equalized less than three minutes later when he buried a loose rebound. Edvin Akselsen was credited with an assist on the goal, having drilled a free kick off the post, where Trcka was able to finish.
The score remained knotted at 1-1 until the 86:09 mark when Sigurdson scored what proved to be the game-winner on a laser to the upper left 90.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Simon Trcka's goal was his second of the season. In 13 games last year, Trcka registered one goal and one assist.
- Redshirt sophomore Edvin Akselsen recorded his first assist of the year on Trcka's goal.
- Both Boston College goals were unassisted.
- Rhody goalkeeper Stefan Schmidt finished with eight saves on the night. His counterpart, Giacomo Piccardo, allowed a goal on the only shot on goal he faced.
- Overall, the Eagles outshot the Rams 23-10.
- BC also held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.
The Rams return home to host Providence College, Monday night at 7 p.m. The game will be televised live, locally, on Cox/YurView and streamed on ESPN+.