RHODE ISLAND (1-2-1)
Starters: Schmidt (GK), Karterud, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Tamburini, Drayer, Booth, Maddox, Kawale, Akselsen
Substitutes: Kolakofsky, Read, Cannon, McManus
Starters: Aviza (GK), Roman, Serrano, Lima, Santos, Mendonca, Smith, Griffin, Wolf, Duncan, Qawasmy
Substitutes: Vang, Raftery, Chisholm
37:27 - URI - Benco (Kolakofsky, Zarokostas)
60:18 - PC - Serrano (penalty kick)
60:36 - URI - Kolakofsky (Akselsen, Read)
How It Happened
Senior Noam Kolakofsky had a goal and an assist in his Rhode Island debut leading the Rams to a 2-1 victory over in-state rival Providence Monday night.
Rhode Island took the lead on a goal from Ludvik Benco in the 38th minute. Stavros Zarokostas set the goal up by beating a pair of Providence defenders in the corner and crossing a pass to Noam Kolakofsky, whose first touch as a Ram went off the right post. Benco collected the rebound at the top of the box and buried a shot just inside the left post.
Providence tied the game in the 61st minute when a handball was called in the box and Joao Serrano converted the ensuing penalty kick.
The Rams responded immediately, needing just 18 seconds to reclaim the lead. Edvin Akselsen sent a free kick into the box that Harvey Read tipped over to Kolakofsky. Kolakofsky's shot beat keeper Austin Aviza inside the right post to put Rhode Island back on top, 2-1.
Providence had the first strong chance of the night, but Rhody keeper Stefan Schmidt came up with the big save in the 18th minute. A hard header by Davis Smith was on target, but Schmidt was able to get his hands on the shot and deflect it away.
The Friars had another chance in the 87th minute. A corner kick by Serrano resulted in a loose ball in the box. A shot on net was knocked away by defender Charlie Booth, who was positioned on the goal line.
The win for Rhode Island snapped a four-game stretch of the road team winning in the URI-PC series.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Noam Kolakofsky provided a goal and an assist in his debut for the Rams. He entered the game in the 33rd minute and picked up the assist on his first touch as a Ram. He later scored what proved to be the game-winner five minutes after checking back into the game in the second half.
- Senior Ludvik Benco's first-half goal was his first of the season.
- Senior Stavros Zarokostas picked up his second assist of the season in the win. It was his 14th career assist.
- Freshman Rohun Kawale made his first career start for Rhode Island.
- Classmate Braeden Cannon entered the game in the 38th minute for his first collegiate appearance.
- Redshirt junior Stefan Schmidt made nine saves on the night.
- Providence had an 8-1 advantage on corner kicks.
- PC also outshot Rhody 21-6 and held a 10-4 edge in shots on goal.
The Rams remain home to play Merrimack Friday night at 7 p.m. The match will be streamed on ESPN+.