Oct 08, 2019
RHODE ISLAND vs. LA SALLE
Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m.
URI Soccer Complex
Coverage: Live Stats
- Rhode Island welcomes La Salle to the URI Soccer Complex on Wednesday night.
- The Rams have not played the Explorers in Kingston since 2016.
- URI has lost to La Salle the last two times the teams played at the URI Soccer Complex (2-1 in 2016 and 4-2 in 2010).
- The last time the Rams defeated the Explorers in Kingston was a 1-0 victory during the 2007 season.
- Rhode Island last played on Saturday night, when it defeated Fordham 3-1. Edvin Akselsen scored one goal and assisted on the other two, en route to earning A-10 Player of the Week and College Soccer News National Team of the Week accolades. Filippo Tamburini (1g/1a) also had a multi-point night while Stefan Schmidt made a career-high nine saves, including stopping a penalty kick late in the second half.
- Through 10 games, the Rams have outscored their opponents 15-12.
- Tamburini leads the team with 12 points (5g/2a). He has scored in five of URI's last six games.
- Akselesn is just behind him with 11 points on two goals and an Atlantic 10-leading seven assists.
- Senior Stavros Zarokostas is next with nine points (3g/3a).
- In total, 10 different players have registered either a goal or an assist this season.
- Schmidt has played all 965:10 so far for Rhode Island, making 48 saves and allowing 12 goals.
The La Salle Series
- Rhode Island leads: 17-3-0
- Last meeting: The Rams defeated the Explorers (1-0) on Oct. 7, 2017, in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Current Streak: Rhody, two wins.
- La Salle's last win: October 8, 2016 (2-1) in Kingston, R.I.
- Of Note: The Rhode Island/La Salle series has gone to overtime five times, all of which have been games played in Philadelphia. Rhody is 4-1 in those games.
Scouting La Salle
- La Salle comes to Rhode Island with a 6-4-1 record, including a 2-1-0 mark in A-10 play.
- The Explorers are 1-3 when playing on the road this season.
- La Salle has been outscored 15-14, and shut out three times.
- Offensively, Pat McCarthy leads the team with eight points on four goals.
- Nigel Buckley is next with seven points (3g/1a).
- A total of 12 different players have recorded either a goal or an an assist for the Explorers.
- Reigning Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Week Brett Werner has started in goal for eight of La Salle's 11 games. He comes to Kingston with a 4-4 record and a 1.47 goals against average.