Rhode Island Starters
Dale, Moffitt, Vargas, Jones, Jorgensen
Larkins, Utterback, Caverly, Crymble, Richason
How it Happened
Rhode Island clawed its way to a thrilling 77-74 overtime win over Vermont, Monday night at the Ryan Center. Davida Dale willed the Rams to victory, registering a career-high 25 points while adding 14 rebounds and five assists.
Vermont jumped out to a quick 7-4 lead, but Rhody responded by closing out the opening period on a 17-2 run. The Rams' defense held UVM scoreless for a span of 6:02 and limited the Catamounts to 1-for-9 shooting through the final 7:06 of the first quarter.
Trailing Rhode Island 21-9 after just 10 minutes of play, Vermont narrowed the gap in the second quarter thanks in part to four 3-pointers. Overall, the Catamounts outscored Rhody 16-13, but the Rams did enough damage in the first quarter to still lead by nine (34-25) at the break.
Rhode Island remained on top throughout the third quarter, but Vermont continued to chip away. UVM cut it to one (57-56) with 8:16 remaining in regulation, but a 3-point basket by Dale gave the Rams a 60-56 cushion. A Catamounts push tied the score at 63-63 with just under four minutes left to play.
The teams traded baskets, as well as the lead, over the next three-plus minutes. With Vermont up 67-66, an offensive foul by UVM put the ball back in Rhody's hands with :35 on the clock. Nicole Jorgensen then hit a layup to put the Rams back on top 68-67. Vermont's Hanna Crymble missed on the ensuing possession and Maia Moffitt grabbed the rebound before being fouled and sent to the line with 14 seconds to go. Moffitt missed both attempts, but Dale hit 1-of-2 from the line six seconds later to push Rhody's lead to 69-67. Crymble then made good on a pair of foul shots with :05 left to play to even the score at 69-69. Marta Vargas's final-second shot was no good however, sending the game to overtime.
There, Jorgensen and Crymble went basket for basket, pushing the score to 74-74 with under a minute to go. Crymble missed a jumper with 24 seconds on the clock and Dale grabbed the rebound. The Rams worked the shot clock down to :01.5 before Dale drained a trey to seal the 77-74 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Davida Dale recorded her first double-double of the season, finishing the night with a career-high 25 points and a season-best 14 rebounds. She also dished out five assists and blocked one shot.
- Dale - who played all 45 minutes and committed zero turnovers - was 9-for-18 from the field and 4-for-5 from the perimeter.
- Senior Nicole Jorgensen poured in 17 points, her 53rd career game in double figures. She narrowly missed the double-double with eight rebounds, two blocks, one assist and one steal.
- Junior Marta Vargas was the third Ram in double figures as she finished with 11 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Redshirt junior Erin Jones registered eight points, seven rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Freshman Kassondra Brown added seven points and four rebounds for the Rams.
- As a team, Rhody held a 52-38 rebounding advantage and a 50-30 edge in points scored in the paint.
- Hanna Crymble recorded a game-high 30 points and team-high 10 rebounds for Vermont.
The Rams return to action on Sunday afternoon when they host Fairfield at 2 p.m.