Posted: Jan 10, 2020
RHODE ISLAND AT DAVIDSON
Sunday, Jan. 12 at 4:30 p.m.
John M. Belk Arena - Davidson, N.C.
RHODE ISLAND VS. DAVIDSON - SERIES NOTES
- Rhode Island heads to Davidson for its first conference road contest Sunday. The game will be nationally televised on NBC Sports Network.
- It will be the ninth meeting between the two schools all-time with the series knotted 4-4.
- Last season, the Rams went 1-1 against the Wildcats.
- Davidson took the 77-67 victory at the Ryan Center in the first meeting on Jan. 12. Rhody then got its revenge at Davidson, winning 64-58 on Feb. 27 at the John M. Belk Arena.
- In Rhody's win over the Wildcats last year, Davida Dale had a game-high 19 points and 16 rebounds in 39 minutes. Dale added four assists and two steals.
- Davidson has won its last two straight against Fordham (74-62) and Saint Louis (65-58).
- Rhode Island defeated Richmond last time out in a 76-70 overtime thriller.
- Sunday's game will feature two of the top rebounders in the league. Davidson's Sarah Donovan ranks second in the A-10 with 8.6 boards per game, while Dale sits third with 8.4 rebounds per game.
- The Wildcats have three averaging double figures in scoring: Suzi-Rose Deegan (16.1), Donovan (11.4) and Katie Turner (10.3).
- Deegan was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week for the third consecutive week, and fourth time this season.
- Rhode Island has three active players providing double-digits in scoring. Senior Nicole Jorgensen averages a team-high 14.9 points per game, while Dale averages 12.6 and Erin Jones adds 10.0. The fourth Ram in double digits was junior Marta Vargas, who averaged 11.6 points in nine games for the Rams this year before suffering a season-ending foot injury.
RHODY MATCHES WIN TOTAL FROM LAST YEAR
- With an 8-6 record this year, Rhode Island has already matched its win total from last season.
- A year ago, the Rams posted an 8-21 record, including 3-13 in conference play.
- The last time Rhody won eight games in its first 14 contests was the 2014-15 season (9-5). Rhode Island finished that year 17-13.
- Earlier this season, first-year head coach Tammi Reiss became just the second head coach in women's basketball history to start 2-0.
- The only other head coach to do so in their first two games was Nancy Langham in the 1977-78 season.
DALE HITS CAREER-BEST AT CHARITY STRIPE
- Redshirt senior Davida Dale went 15-of-16 at the free throw line last time out against Richmond, leading the Rams to a thrilling overtime victory over the Spiders.
- Dale hit the pressure free throws down the stretch, hitting 4-of-4 in the overtime period to clinch Rhody's first conference win.
- The 15 good free throws rank second-best all time.
- The only better performance at the charity stripe was current assistant coach Megan Shoniker's 18-of-19 against Saint Louis in 2011.
DALE PLAYING TO THE FULLEST
- Since teammate Marta Vargas has been sidelined due to injury for the last five games, Davida Dale has had to step up as the primary ball handler for Rhode Island.
- She's played atleast 40 minutes in each of the last five straight games.
- Dale hasn't seen the bench since she played 37 minutes in Rhody's loss to Providence on Dec. 8. 2019.
- In the Ram's win over Vermont, Dale played the full 40 minutes of regulation plus the five minute overtime period without turning the ball over.
- She had another 40 minute performance with zero turnovers in the win against Holy Cross.