RHODE ISLAND (11-11, 4-6 A-10)
Starters: Dale, Moffitt, Jones, Harvey-Carr, Jorgensen
Subs: Brown, Niang, Oberg, Rogers
DAYTON (17-7, 10-0 A-10)
Starters: Bradshaw, Whitehead, Whalen, Wilmoth, Scaife
Subs: Fowler, Chandler, Giacone, Perez, Ward, Szabo
Rhody hung with the first-place Flyers through the first half, limiting the high-powered Dayton offense to 1-of-10 from 3-point range. By getting to the free throw line, Rhode Island was able to stay in the game. The Rams were 8-for-10 at the stripe in the second quarter, helping keep the deficit to single digits at the half, 31-23.
A fourth personal foul on Dale sent her to the bench for the bulk of the third quarter. Dayton capitalized and found its shooting stroke. After making just 1-of-10 from 3-point range in the first half, the Flyers were 4-of-7 from deep in the third. Erin Whalen hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer, putting Dayton up, 57-39 heading to the final period.
The action was even in the final quarter, but Rhode Island wasn't able to threaten the lead, dropping its second straight.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Nicole Jorgensen had a game-high 25 points to go with eight rebounds.
- Redshirt senior Davida Dale scored 13 points and grabbed six rebounds in a limited 29 minutes due to foul trouble. She added four assists and four steals.
- Freshman Kassondra Brown was the third Ram in double digits, finishing with 10 points and five rebounds.
- Junior Maia Moffitt led all players with 10 rebounds.
- Rhody's defense held Dayton's leading scorer Erin Whalen to just nine points on 1-of-8 from deep.
Rhody is back at the Ryan Center on Wednesday to face Saint Louis. Game time is set for 7 p.m.