How it Happened:
Rhode Island (7-5-1, 0-2-0 A-10) stayed close with Dayton in the first half, but the visiting Flyers scored five second half goals en route to a 7-2 victory in Atlantic 10 play Sunday.
After a goal by Dayton's Colleen Williams opened scoring in the 15th minute, Rhody's Jennifer Barrientos (Reseda, Calif.) scored off of a free kick in the 32nd minute to tie the score. Rhody held the defending Atlantic 10 champions close in the first half, trailing just 2-1 at the break.
The Flyers (8-3-0, 2-0-0 A-10) got off to a quick start in the second half when Stephanie Emery scored on a header off of a cross from Williams. Dayton scored four straight goals before Ari Stanton (Cranston, R.I) scored in the 88th minute for the Rams.
Williams had three goals and two assists for Dayton on the day.
Inside the Box Score:
- Dayton had the edge in shots recording a total of 19, compared to Rhode Island's 16. The Flyers had 10 shots were on goal, while six were on goal for the Rams.
- The Flyers took five corners to Rhody's one.
- Dayton was called for 11 fouls to Rhode Island's six.
- Both Jordin Melchert and Katherine Boone saw time in the net for the Flyers stopping a combined four shots. Melchert picked up the win.
- Dayton improves its series record over the Rams to 14-3-0.
- The Rams are 7-4-0 this season when playing at home.
- Both of Rhode Island's goals were unassisted.
The Rams travel to Massachusetts (6-6-0, 1-1-0 A-10) for a conference matchup on Saturday, Oct. 6. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.