Alves, Leyh, Warjas, Bailes, Barrientos, Gildein, Brennan, Rauscher, Sellitti, Stanton, Broghamer
Bersett, Berdan, Pierce, Gamel, Griep, Cislo, Redden, Adam, Simone, Ward, Hattle
2:10 - URI - Brennan (Leyh, Gildein)
44:28 - URI - Murray (Mohammedi)
54:00 - URI - Leyh (Gildein)
How It Happened:
The Rams got on the board early when Samantha Leyh, aided by Lucy Gildein, had a nice cross right to Nicole Brennan for the goal. Donika Murray added the second goal right before halftime in the 45th minute. The third goal was scored by Samantha Leyh in the 54th minute.
Chelsea Broghamer and Reilly Lindsey both saw time in net for the Rams and stopped NJIT from scoring a goal. Lindsay stopped both shots that came her way and the defense in front of Broghamer was good enough to not even let up a shot on goal.
"I was never worried about scoring, I know this team can score," Coach Michael Needham said of the team scoring thier first goals of the season "The team increased their level of play from the first minute to the last minute and that's really what you want to see."
Inside the Box Score:
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 1-1-0, while NJIT drops to 0-2-0.
- Rhode Island held a 13-5 advantage in total shots, including a 7-2 edge in shots on goal.
- The Rams out-cornered the Highlanders, 5-3.
- The Highlanders also committed 10 fouls to Rhody's nine.
- Chelsea Broghamer picked up the win in goal for the Rams, playing 45:00 before being replaced by Reilly Lindsay. Lindsay finished the rest of the match.
- Rhode Island keepers only needed to save two shots on goal.
- Rhode Island is now 2-0-0 all time against NJIT. Both wins were under head coach Michael Needham.
- The win improved URI's record to 1-0-0 on the road this season.
- Six different players contributed to the scoring in URI's win over NJIT.
- Three freshman added their first points of their careers today. Brennan and Murray had their first career goals, while Mohammedi recorded her first career assist.
- Gildein's two assists was her first of the year. She now has nine career points on two goals and five assists.
- Leyh picked up her first goal and assist of the season, upping her career points total to nine.
The Rams come home, hosting Sacred Heart on Thursday night at 7 p.m.