How it Happened
Rhode Island fell 10-3 to host UNC Wilmington on the second day of the Lafayette Ford Lincoln of Fayetteville Showcase Saturday.
After falling behind 3-0, Rhode Island (0-3) came back with three runs in the top of the fourth. Kylie Shivery led off the frame with an infield single and advanced when Kelly Licul drew a walk. With one out, Taylor Archer walked to load the bases, and Madi Housel followed with a pinch hit single to drive in Shivery. Jenna Cubello tied the game with a two-run double that brought in Housel and Archer.
UNC Wilmington (5-2) retook the lead with a single run in the bottom of the fourth and then broke the game open with a five-run rally in the fifth inning.
Inside the Box Score:
- Kylie Shivery had her second multi-hit game of the season, as she singled twice, was hit by a pitch and scored a run. She has five hits through the first three games of the year.
- Madi Housel had a single, one run scored and one run batted in in her first appearance of the season.
- Jenna Cubello doubled, was hit by a pitch and drove in two runs.
- Paige Julich singled once to extend her hitting streak to five games.
- Taylor Archer walked and scored one run.
Stat of the Day
8 – Rhode Island left eight runners on base.
Rhode Island will face Delaware State for the second time in as many days at 5:30 p.m. tonight.