How it Happened
Rhode Island broke the game open in the eighth inning to score a 7-3 extra-inning victory over Liberty at the Liberty Softball Classic Friday night.
The Rams (7-8) rallied for their second victory of the day, battling back from an early three-run deficit to score their first win over a Big South team in 13 seasons, dating back to a 5-4 win against Gardner Webb in 2003.
With one out and two runners in scoring position, Lauren Klepchick laced a single to center that drove in Jenna Cubello with the eventual winning run. Taylor Archer – who walked earlier in the inning – stopped at third and Klepchick wound up at second base. After the second out of the inning, Marylynn Muldowney lined a single past third to score Archer and move pinch runner Emily Hendricks to third. Muldowney advanced to second on the throw. Danielle Gariglio followed with a hard shot off the glove of the diving second basemen, allowing Hendricks and Muldowney to score on what was ruled an error.
Provided with a four-run cushion, Becca Rogers (5-3) closed the game out in the bottom of the eighth, striking out the final two batters of the game. Rogers picked up her second victory of the day by pitching 5.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Inside the Box Score:
- Ali Summers had a huge game in the leadoff spot, reaching base safely in all five of her plate appearances. She led off the game with her third double of the season, which extended her hitting streak to seven games.
- Summers later added her fourth double of the year, just missing a home run as she laced a ball off the wall in left center. She also walked three times and scored her team-leading 13th run of the year.
- Marylynn Muldowney singled twice, drove in one run and scored two runs. She has three multi-hit games in her last four games
- Jenna Cubello walked twice and scored two runs, including the game winner.
- Lauren Klepchick singled, had a sacrifice and drove in the game-winning run.
- Paige Julich doubled in the seventh inning to keep her 13-game hitting streak alive. It was her seventh extra-base hit in 10 games played.
- Kylie Shivery singled once.
- Becca Rogers had five strikeouts and allowed just three hits in her five innings of work.
- Caitlin Kennedy started in the circle and allowed one earned run over three innings.
- Rhode Island is now 2-0 in extra inning games.
Stat of the Day
11.2 – Freshman Becca Rogers pitched 11.2 innings over three appearances on Friday and did not allow an earned run.
Rhode Island plays two more games at the Liberty Softball Classic. The Rams take on La Salle in a non-Atlantic 10 game Saturday at 12:15 p.m. and then see Norfolk State for the second day in a row at 2:30 p.m.