How It Happened
Rhode Island (12-28, 3-14 Atlantic 10) was not able to overcome a five-run rally in the bottom of the third inning as the Rams fell at St. Bonaventure 8-3 in the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
After Rhody got on the board with a run in the top of the third, St. Bonaventure (13-30, 6-12 A-10) responded with five runs in the bottom of the inning. Emily Belfield's two-run single capped the outburst by the Bonnies.
The Rams were able to close the gap to 5-3 with two runs in the top of the fifth inning. Marylynn Muldowney walked and Ali Summers singled to start the frame. After two outs, Kylie Shivery delivered a two-run double to cut the deficit in half.
That was as close as Rhode Island got. St. Bonaventure scored a single run in the home half of the fifth, then added two runs in the sixth inning to close out the scoring.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Marylynn Muldowney singled twice, scored two runs and walked once. She has five hits in her last four games, raising her season batting average to .306.
- Freshman Kelly Licul had her first career multi-hit game, drilling a double and a single.
- Junior Ali Summers single twice and scored her team-leading 21st run of the season.
- Kylie Shivery doubled and drove in a pair of runs. Over her last 11 games, Shivery has driven in 13 runs.
- Paige Julich singled to extend her hitting streak to five games. She also drove in one run.
Stat of the Day
5-of-7 – Rhode Island was able to get five of its seven leadoff batters on base. The Rams scored in two of the five innings.
The Rams and Bonnies will conclude the three-game series with a single game Sunday at noon.