How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-4) wrapped up play at the Houston Classic with an 18-4 loss in five innings to Ole Miss Sunday morning.
Ole Miss (6-2) made quick work of the Rams for the second day in a row, building a 12-run lead after three innings. The Rebels got on the board in the top of the second when it pieced together a three-run rally using three singles and a walk. A nine-run rally in the third established a lead that was too much for Rhody to overcome.
Rhody had a rally started in the bottom of the first when Caileigh Holland and Erika Yeager had back-to-back one-out singles. The Rams got some bad luck when Kylie Shivery drilled a line drive that was caught by the first baseman and turned into a double play.
Junior Paige Julich got Rhode Island on the board in the bottom of the fourth. The Rams loaded the bases when Erika Yeager and Rachel Kuhlman sandwiched singles around a walk to Kylie Shivery. Julich brought everyone home with a grand slam.
Thoughts of a rally were erased when Ole Miss responded with a six-run burst in the top of the fifth to cap the scoring.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Paige Julich's grand slam was the second of her career. She also had one last season at Hampton.
- The home run was the first of the year for Julich, and the ninth of her career.
- Freshman Erika Yeager continued the strong start to her career with a pair of singles. She started all five games, had a pair of multi-hit games and batted .417 (5-for-12) at the tournament.
- Fellow freshman Caileigh Holland picked up her third hit of the season with a single in the first inning. She had a strong showing at the Houston Classic, batting .333 (3-for-9) with one RBI in four games.
- Sophomore Rebecca Simms made her first career start, serving as the designated player. She delivered her first career hit with a single in the third inning.
- Freshman Emily Zembik had her first career hit with a single in the third inning.
- Junior Rachel Kuhlman singled and scored one run in the fourth inning.
- Junior Kylie Shivery walked and scored one run.
- Freshman Erica Robles made her collegiate debut, appearing as a pinch hitter and getting a single.
Stat of the Day
6 – The home run for Paige Julich was already the sixth hit by Rhode Island through five games this season. Last season, the Rams had one home run through the first six games.
Rhode Island heads to Phoenix next week to compete at the GCU Invitational, hosted by Grand Canyon. The Rams open the tournament against San Jose State on Friday, Feb. 24.