How it Happened
Conference play got off to a rough start for Rhode Island (2-17, 0-2 Atlantic 10), which was swept in a doubleheader at Fordham Saturday. Fordham (22-7, 2-0 A-10) won the first game 11-0 and then blanked Rhody 14-0 in the second game.
Both games ended in the fifth inning, with Fordham winning via eight-run rule. Lauren Quense (14-3) hurled a one-hit shutout in the first game, and Madison Aughinbaugh blanked Rhode Island on five hits in the second game.
Quense homered in both ends of the doubleheader for Fordham, which had six long balls on the day.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Caileigh Holland had a pair of hits in the second game for Rhode Island. She has seven hits over her last six games.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio singled once in each game. She extended her hitting streak to six games, the longest active streak on the team.
- Seniors Ali Summers and Marylynn Muldowney each singled once in the second game.
- In the second game, eight different Fordham players had at least one run batted in. Five of the players drove in two runs.
- All nine Fordham batters had at least one hit in the second game.
Stat of the Day
6 – Fordham hit six home runs in the two games, which is the same number of total hits – all singles – Rhode Island had on the day.
Rhode Island and Fordham close out the three-game series with a single game Sunday at 1 p.m.