How It Happened
A late two-out rally lifted Saint Joseph's to a 2-1 victory over Rhode Island in the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island (11-11, 0-1 A-10) got on the board in the top of the sixth when Susan Harrison hit a solo home run, her fifth home run of the season.
Saint Joseph's (10-11, 1-0 A-10) came right back with two runs in the bottom of the sixth. After the first two batters were retired, Sarah Ostaszewki reached on a single, and Molly Kapala followed with a single of her own. Both runners advance on the throw, putting two in scoring position. Caela Abadie hit a double to the gap in left center, bringing in both runners and putting the Hawks up, 2-1.
In the top of the seventh, Rhode Island got the potential tying run in scoring position. Pinch hitter Adriana Toro led off with a walk. Caileigh Holland ran for Toro and moved to second when Sami Villarreal drew a two-out walk. However, Saint Joseph's pitcher Ashley Ventura got a strikeout to end the game.
The Rams had a golden opportunity in the top of the second inning when it loaded the bases with no outs. Erika Robles singled and moved to second when Susan Harrison walked. Erika Yeager reached on a fielder's choice, and no outs were recorded on the play. The next two batters hit ground balls in which the lead runner was forced out at the plate. A strikeout ended the threat.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island was 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
- The loss was the ninth straight for the Rams against Saint Joseph's.
- Freshman Susan Harrison hit a solo home run and drew a walk. The home run was her team-leading fifth of the season.
- Senior Becca Rogers (6-3) was the tough-luck loser. She went the distance, allowing two runs on five hits. She also struck out seven batters.
- Junior Erica Robles singled.
- Freshman Ari Castillo singled, extending her hitting streak to seven games. She leads the team with 26 hits.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal walked three times and had one stolen base. Villarreal has drawn 21 walks through the first 22 games.
- Senior Adriana Toro appeared as a pinch hitter and drew a walk.
Rhode Island and Saint Joseph's play a doubleheader Sunday. The first game begins at noon.