How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-15) got the potential tying run to the plate with two outs in the seventh inning, but the comeback faltered in a 4-1 loss at Boston University Thursday.
Boston University (14-15) jumped out in front just two batters into its first trip to the plate. Emily Gant led off with a walk and scored when Morrow followed with a triple. A single by Alex Heinen drove in Emily Morrow and made the score 2-0. Single runs in the fifth and sixth innings extended the lead to 4-0.
In the top of the seventh, Faith Musselwhite hit a solo home run with one out to get the Rams on the board. Ari Castillo followed with a double, and after the second out of the inning, Susan Harrison singled to put runners on the corners. Unfortunately, a groundout ended the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite hit a home runs and added a single. It was her fourth long ball of the season.
- Freshman Ari Castillo doubled, singled and walked. She increased her season batting average to .403.
- Freshman Susan Harrison singled twice.
- Thursday was Castillo's team-leading seventh multi-hit game of the year, while Musselwhite and Harrison each had their sixth multi-hit game.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled and walked once.
- Senior Adriana Toro doubled.
Rhode Island travels to Dayton for a three-game series starting Friday, March 29. The series was originally set to begin with a doubleheader on Saturday, but the teams will play a single game Friday at 4 p.m. The schedule for the remaining two games will be determined by weather in the Dayton area.