How It Happened
Rhode Island (1-3) picked up its first win of the season while splitting a doubleheader against Seton Hall on the final day of the Elon Softball Classic Sunday. Rhody rallied to a 2-1 victory in the opener before falling, 7-2, in the second game.
Game 1 - Rhode Island 2, Seton Hall 1
Sami Villarreal delivered a two-out double in the top of the seventh inning to drive in Faith Musselwhite with the winning run. Rhody trailed 1-0 through five innings, but the Rams tied the score in the sixth when Rachel Zingerman drilled her first career home run, setting up the chance to win the game in the seveth.
Game 2 - Seton Hall 7, Rhode Island 2 (6 inn.)
Seton Hall opened up a big lead early, scoring five runs in the top of the first inning. The Pirates added a run in the second innings and remained in command throughout. Kelsey Gumm pitched 2.2 hitless, scoreless innings of relief to earn the win in the circle.
Inside the Box Scores
- Senior Sarah Gunderson pitched a complete game to earn the win in the opener. She scattered six hits while striking out four.
- In 13.0 innings of work over the weekend, Gunderson allowed just three earned runs while striking out 12 batters.
- Freshman Rachel Zingerman had a home run, single and three runs batted in on the day.
- Sophomore Sami Villarreal had a pair of doubles, one run scored and one RBI. She had a hit in all four games over the weekend.
- Sophomore Faith Musselwhite walked, stole a base and scored the winning run in the first game.
- Senior Caileigh Holland singled, walked and scored a run on the day.
- Rhode Island was able to draw seven walks in the doubleheader, compared to just three for Seton Hall.
- Both sides only committed one error over the two games.
Rhode Island will play four games in Charlotte next weekend at the First Pitch Classic. The Rams open against host Charlotte on Friday, Feb. 14, then play North Carolina A&T and Charlotte on Saturday, Feb. 15. The Rams face North Carolina A&T again on Sunday, Feb. 16.