How It Happened
Rhode Island (3-4) drubbed North Carolina A&T and fell to Charlotte, getting a split of two games at the First Pitch Classic in Charlotte, N.C. on Saturday.
Game 1 - Rhode Island 7, North Carolina A&T 2
Rhody was in control throughout, scoring two unearned runs in the first inning before Rachel Zingerman drilled a three-run home run in the bottom of the second inning to break the game open. With starter Sarah Gunderson hurling five shutout innings, the Rams coasted to the win.
Game 2 - Charlotte 8, Rhode Island 3
After the host 49ers took a 2-0 lead in the first inning, the Rams rallied to tie the score in the third inning. Faith Musselwhite and Sami Villarreal had RBI doubles to knot the score.Charlotte came back with a pair of runs of its own in the bottom of the frame and never gave up its lead the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Scores
By defeating North Carolina A&T in the first game of the day, Rhode Island opened the season 3-3 through six games for the first time since 1999.
- Sophomore Faith Musselwhite doubled, singled, walked twice, scored two runs and had a stolen base on the day.
- Sophomore Sami Villarreal doubled, walked and scored two runs. In 33 career games, she has reached base safely 57 times.
- Freshman Rachel Zingerman hit her second home run, walked three times, scored three runs and drove in three. She has eight RBI through her first six games.
- Freshman Cassie Swenson had a pair of singles.
- Senior Caileigh Holland singled, walked and scored one run.
- Redshirt sophomore Abby Fenbert delivered a pinch-hit single in the game against Charlotte.
- Senior Sarah Gunderson (3-0) earned her second win of the weekend and third in as many appearances. She pitched 5.0 scoreless innings, scattering six hits and striking out five.
- Over the two games, Rhode Island drew 16 walks. URI's pitchers allowed just one.
Rhode Island closes out the weekend with a game against North Carolina A&T Sunday. First pitch is at 9 a.m.