How It Happened
Rhode Island was limited to two runs combined as it dropped both ends of a doubleheader at Longwood Wednesday afternoon.
Game 1 - Longwood 3, Rhode Island 1
Rhody got on the board first in the top of the third when Ari Castillo drove in Susan Harrison with a two-out single. Longwood responded in the bottom of the frame with a two-run homer from Alexis Wayland. It was all the run support Sydney Backstrom needed, as she went the distance and limited the Rams to three hits.
Game 2 - Longwood 7, Rhode Island 1
A four-run outburst in the fourth inning sparked Longwood's victory in the nightcap. Three Rhode Island errors and three Lancer hits spurred the rally. Cushioned with a lead, Arleigh Wood went the distance, giving up just one hit over the final three innings to prevent thoughts of a Rhody comeback.
Inside the Box Scores
- Freshman Cassie Swenson had a big day at the plate with two hits and two walks in six plate appearances.
- Her double was Rhode Island's lone extra-base hit on the day.
- Sophomore Ari Castillo singled twice, walked and drove in one run. She is now tied with freshman Rachel Zingerman for the team lead with eight runs batted in.
- Sophomore Susan Harrison singled and scored one run.
- Junior Hannah DeSousa singled, walked and scored one run.
- Senior Erika Yeager singled once, while sophomore Sami Villarreal reached base three times via the walk.
- Freshman Liz Lynchard has a solid relief appearance, pitching 2.0 scoreless innings while allowing no hits.
Rhode Island is scheduled to play five games at the Liberty Classic beginning Friday.