How It Happened
Freshman Erin Chratian and junior Tiara Higuchi each won their third consecutive singles but, but Rhode Island (3-5, 0-1 Atlantic 10) fell 5-2 at Davidson Saturday.
After Davidson (6-4, 1-2 A-10) won the doubles point by sweeping all three matches, Chratian evened the team score for the Rams. She dispatched of Megan Scholvinck in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, improving to 8-4 on the season in the process.
Davidson won in straight sets at No. 4 and No. 5 singles to pull ahead 3-2, but Higuchi kept Rhode Island in the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. Unfortunately, a Davidson victory at No. 6 singles clinched the team win for the hosts.
Rhode Island junior Mihaela Codreanu played well in a three-set battle against Alexandra Abele in the final match of the day. Playing at No. 3 singles, Codreanu won the opening set, 6-3. Abele took the second, 6-2, then outlasted Codreanu in the tie-breaker, 11-9.
1. Scholvinck/Truluck (D) def. E. Chratian/S. Chratian; 6-3
2. Armas/Abele (D) def. Loredo/Higuchi; 6-1
3. Krykanov/Centenari (D) vs. Haber/Codreanu; 7-5
1. Erin Chratian (URI) def. Megan Scholvinck; 6-2, 6-2
2. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Gabrielle Centenari; 6-2, 6-2
3. Alexandra Abele (D) def. Mihaela Codreanu (URI); 3-6, 6-2 1-0 (11-9)
4. Samantha Armas (D) def. Ariel Haber; 6-3, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Truluck (D) def. Halah Davis; 6-4, 6-1
6. Mira Gladstone (D) def. Paulina Loredo; 6-1, 6-4
Rhode Island is back in action Sunday when it plays at Wofford.
Higuchi, Chratian Win, but Rams Fall at Davidson, 5-2
How It Happened