How It Happened
Junior Tiara Higuchi and sophomore Halah Davis each won singles matches, but it was not enough for Rhode Island, as the Rams fell 5-2 to Army Saturday afternoon.
After dropping all three doubles matches, the Rams (6-7) got on the board when Higuchi won at No. 2 singles. She defeated Stephanie Dolehide 6-4, 6-4 to record her team-leading 10th singles win of the season. Higuchi improved to 8-2 when playing in the No. 2 slot.
Davis was victorious at No. 4 singles in the lone match of the day to go to three sets. Davis took the first set 6-3, but Sam Dimaio evened things by winning the next set, 6-2. It was all Davis in the deciding third, as she did not drop a point en route to the win.
Army (17-6) won each of the remaining singles matches in straight sets.
Before the match began, seniors Ariel Haber and Nicole Legler were honored. It was the final home match for both players.
1. Einck/DiMaio (A) def. Codreanu/Erin Chratian; 6-4
2. Boubel/Inchauste (A) def. Loredo/Higuchi; 6-1
3. Dolehide/Pidgeon (A) def. Davis/S. Chratian; 6-2
1. Kirby Einck (A) def. Erin Chratian; 6-4, 6-4
2. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Stephanie Dolehide; 6-4, 6-4
3. Hannah Boubel (A) def. Paulina Loredo; 6-4, 7-6
4. Halah Davis (URI) def. Sam DiMaio; 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
5. Sasha Inchauste (A) def. Sydney Chratian; 6-1, 6-0
6. MaryJo Pidgeon (A) def. Ariel Haber; 6-3, 6-3
Rhode Island plays at Fordham on Sunday, April 14.