How It Happened
Rhode Island was swept for the third time in as many matches, falling at Boston University, 7-0, Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Paulina Loredo and redshirt junior Tiara Higuchi each played three-set matches, but both eventually fell.
Playing at No. 5 singles, Loredo took the opening set, 6-2, against Katya Martens. The second set was even, but Martens tied the match by getting the set, 6-4. A third-set super-tiebreaker went to Martens, 10-6.
Higuchi found herself down a set at No. 2 singles, but she battled back and tied things by winning the second set, 6-4. However, Emily Kim took the final set, 6-2.
Rhody sophomore Erin Chratian fell in straight sets, but was competitive against BU freshman Erica Di Battista. Di Battista - who is ranked No. 100 in the country - scored a 7-5, 6-4 win.
1. Di Battista/Angyalosy (BU) def. E. Chratian/Codreanu; 6-0
2. Kim/Yaloz (BU) def. Higuchi/S. Chratian; 6-2
3. Martens/Burchell (BU) def. Rajan/Loredo; 6-4
1. Erica Di Battista (BU) def. Erin Chratian; 7-5, 6-4
2. Emily Kim (BU) def. Tiara Higuchi; 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. Lily Burchell (BU) def. Nadia Rajan; 7-6 (5), 6-1
4. Alex Angyalosy (BU) def. Sydney Chratian; 6-2, 6-2
5. Katya Martens (BU) def. Paulina Loredo; 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
6. Stteph Nguyen (BU) def. Mihaela Codreanu; Did not play
Rhode Island opens Atlantic 10 plays at Saint Joseph's on Saturday, Feb. 15.