How it Happened
Rhode Island was swept by Colgate (25-20, 25-21, 25-18) on the first day of the Harvard Invitational Friday.
The Rams (1-3) led the opening set 13-10 following an attack error by Colgate (3-1). However, Colgate scored five of the next six points to take the momentum back. After back-and-forth play, Rhode Island took a 22-20 lead after a Colgate service error, but the Raiders closed out the set with five straight points.
Colgate never trailed in the second set and quickly took a commanding 2-0 set advantage. The third set was more of the same as the Raiders opened a six-point edge at 15-9 following an Alex Stein kill. Rhode Island never got closer the rest of the way, dropping its second straight match.
Inside the Box Score
- Colgate had a major edge at the net, recording 13 blocks. Rhode Island had two on the night.
- Junior setter Annie Ell managed 30 assists. She had assists on more than half of Rhody's points (30-of-59).
- Sophomore Mariah Paulette and freshman Claire Wagner tied for the team high with eight kills. Wagner added 16 digs.
- Redshirt junior Natale Zanellato and sophomore Gabrielle Shilling chipped in seven kills each.
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff had seven digs and four assists.
The Rams have a pair of matches Saturday. They take on Sacred Heart at 10 a.m. and close out the weekend against host Harvard at 7 p.m.